Wanna be's.......... rant

I believe it's called "narcissism?"
hu.gif

I work with one of those. Only hers is with aches and pains. After someone in the office mentions an ache or a pain they have, hers are so bad and so widespread over her body I'm just in awe she can get out of bed and make it into work.
wink.png

LOL I call them "one upper's" We have one in the office I make stuff up and she will still one up. Hers is bigger, better cooler, worse it makes no difference. My "one upper" is way worse than any of your 'wanna be's" LOL. Yeah they drive me nuts.

My poor room mate must think I'm always trying to one-up her. Every time she gets a camera, I seem to get newer/better quality camera shortly after her. I don't do it on purpose, but it always seems to work that way! I have to be careful how I talk about it to her because the last thing I want to do is make her think I'm trying to be better than her! LOL

I do agree with you. I tend to hate people like that as well.

Quote:
Narcissism is when you are in love with yourself. Its another word for being conceited. You think you are the most handsome/beautiful person alive. I found this quick explnation on the origins of the word on Wikipedia. While I normally don't trust wikipedia, this story agrees with what I can remember having read elsewhere.

The name "narcissism" is derived from Greek mythology. Narcissus was a handsome Greek youth who had never seen his reflection, but because of a prediction by an Oracle, looked in a pool of water and saw his reflection for the first time. The nymph Echo--who had been punished by Hera for gossiping and cursed to forever have the last word—had seen Narcissus walking through the forest and wanted to talk to him, but, because of her curse, she wasn't able to speak first. As Narcissus was walking along, he got thirsty and stopped to take a drink; it was then he saw his reflection for the first time, and, not knowing any better, started talking to it. Echo, who had been following him, then started repeating the last thing he said back. Not knowing about reflections, Narcissus thought his reflection was speaking to him. Unable to consummate his love, Narcissus pined away at the pool and changed into the flower that bears his name, the narcissus.

Quote:
Narcissism is when you are in love with yourself. Its another word for being conceited. You think you are the most handsome/beautiful person alive. I found this quick explnation on the origins of the word on Wikipedia. While I normally don't trust wikipedia, this story agrees with what I can remember having read elsewhere.

The name "narcissism" is derived from Greek mythology. Narcissus was a handsome Greek youth who had never seen his reflection, but because of a prediction by an Oracle, looked in a pool of water and saw his reflection for the first time. The nymph Echo--who had been punished by Hera for gossiping and cursed to forever have the last word—had seen Narcissus walking through the forest and wanted to talk to him, but, because of her curse, she wasn't able to speak first. As Narcissus was walking along, he got thirsty and stopped to take a drink; it was then he saw his reflection for the first time, and, not knowing any better, started talking to it. Echo, who had been following him, then started repeating the last thing he said back. Not knowing about reflections, Narcissus thought his reflection was speaking to him. Unable to consummate his love, Narcissus pined away at the pool and changed into the flower that bears his name, the narcissus.

Taken from the the DSM IV:

The symptoms of narcissistic personality disorder revolve around a pattern of grandiosity, need for admiration, and sense of entitlement. Often individuals feel overly important and will exaggerate achievements and will accept, and often demand, praise and admiration despite worthy achievements. They may be overwhelmed with fantasies involving unlimited success, power, love, or beauty and feel that they can only be understood by others who are, like them, superior in some aspect of life.

There is a sense of entitlement, of being more deserving than others based solely on their superiority. These symptoms, however, are a result of an underlying sense of inferiority and are often seen as overcompensation. Because of this, they are often envious and even angry of others who have more, receive more respect or attention, or otherwise steal away the spotlight.

I work with a broad who's the poster child for this, LOL You literally cannot have a conversation with about anything because she's an EXPERT on EVERYTHING! Chickens included. Plus, the conversation always turns to HER. You can say, I got up too early this morning and I'm tired. Then she'll say that she got up earlier than you and went to bed later and she's sick. We have the same job but somehow she thinks she works way harder, does more work and needs constant praise to feel needed. I'm really quiet and just try to ignore her. Of course, that's hard when we're the only two in the front office and we sit right by each other!
wink.png
So I agree with greathorse--this person is a "one upper." It's totally annoying! On top of the one-upping, she's always right and she's an expert. I bet that you couldn't mention anything to her without her being an expert and one-upping you! LOL

BTW, I have a minor in psychology and I'm Greek! LOL

Quote:
I invented the lawn mower and hold the record for jumping high. I am a master of stucco and a fugitive in Peru. When people say "You da' man", they are comparing you to me.

Our daughter HAD a friend like this at the ripe ol age of 8!!

We ended up having to break up their relationship...notice I didnt say friendship...this child was no friend to anyone but herself.
She got it from her parents obviously but it somehow looks worse on a child than on an adult.

I feel sorry for the child as she is virtually companionless but our child was losing her self esteem over it. It was sad.

Quote:

Taken from the the DSM IV:

The symptoms of narcissistic personality disorder revolve around a pattern of grandiosity, need for admiration, and sense of entitlement. Often individuals feel overly important and will exaggerate achievements and will accept, and often demand, praise and admiration despite worthy achievements. They may be overwhelmed with fantasies involving unlimited success, power, love, or beauty and feel that they can only be understood by others who are, like them, superior in some aspect of life.

There is a sense of entitlement, of being more deserving than others based solely on their superiority. These symptoms, however, are a result of an underlying sense of inferiority and are often seen as overcompensation. Because of this, they are often envious and even angry of others who have more, receive more respect or attention, or otherwise steal away the spotlight.

I work with a broad who's the poster child for this, LOL You literally cannot have a conversation with about anything because she's an EXPERT on EVERYTHING! Chickens included. Plus, the conversation always turns to HER. You can say, I got up too early this morning and I'm tired. Then she'll say that she got up earlier than you and went to bed later and she's sick. We have the same job but somehow she thinks she works way harder, does more work and needs constant praise to feel needed. I'm really quiet and just try to ignore her. Of course, that's hard when we're the only two in the front office and we sit right by each other!
wink.png
So I agree with greathorse--this person is a "one upper." It's totally annoying! On top of the one-upping, she's always right and she's an expert. I bet that you couldn't mention anything to her without her being an expert and one-upping you! LOL

BTW, I have a minor in psychology and I'm Greek! LOL

I stand one-upped.
idunno.gif

Back
Top Bottom