Wanting a LG breed. WHICH SHOULD I GET?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by muscovy94, Nov 11, 2009.

1. muscovy94

muscovy94 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 11, 2008
    Vicksburg, MS
    Hey everyone right now all i have are bantams and i am really wanting some LG so I was wondering what yall like? Any tips or suggestions as to what breed I should consider?

2. poultryhaven

poultryhaven Addicted to Seramas!

Jan 19, 2009
    Ocala, FL
    Jersey Giants!!!!!

3. RAREROO

RAREROO Overrun With Chickens

Jul 22, 2009
    Alapaha, Ga
    Barred Rocks or Speckled Sussex, I raise both of them.

4. Splash Giants

Splash Giants Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 28, 2009
    <<<<<<<LIkes Jersey Giants

5. muscovy94

muscovy94 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 11, 2008
    Vicksburg, MS
    keep in mind i need a breed a lg fowl breed that would get along with my bantams.

6. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Ameraucanas

7. keithallen1965

keithallen1965 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2009
    conroe
    Marans![​IMG]

8. Lensters

Lensters Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2009
    Adair Village, OR
    OP, you spelled it out for them and they still didn't get it. Orpingtons are very mellow and would work well with the bantams. Another possibility might be Welsummers. Say no to Plymouth Rocks, Rhode Islands, Marans and especially not an EE (Ameraucana/Araucana/hybrids).

Oh, I also have Wyandottes but I'm not sure how they get along with mild mannered or smaller chickens as I have always kept them penned with EEs and they have to put on a big show just to get to their share of the feed.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2009
  9. Bedste

Bedste Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2009
    Cut n Shoot Texas
    I had Bantams FIRST..... Roo and Hen.... then added standard baby chicks to the bantams...... It has been funny to see how the two bantams boss everyone around even when they end up so much bigger than they are. My Bantam ROO is still the boss over 11 HUGE full grown hens..... and many others.

10. wasatusay

wasatusay Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 29, 2008
    South Carolina
    Love my Jersey Giant, tolerates heat and cold good,very mellow, Love my Light Brahmas, but they do not tolerate the heat as good. A friend of mine leans toward the Buff Brahmas the seem to do well with heat and cold, heat being the big factor here in SC in the summer. A lot of folk around here seem to have the RI Reds, not sure if it is just because they are hardy or easy to come by?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by