WARNING GRAPHIC Rooster fight, possibly broken jaw?

Virus

Songster
6 Years
May 21, 2015
Kentucky
My game cross rooster was attacked by his brothers and something is wrong with the left side of his face. Its caved in and puffs in and out as he breathes. I don't know what is broken or pierced but something is. He's taking very rapid breaths and There's whistling when he does and and there was gurgling but has given way to the whistling. I know how to deal with bleeding and how to care for injuries but I need to know what it is so I can decide if he can heal. Other than that he is alert but obviously hurting.
20190117_181738.jpg
20190117_181722.jpg
20190117_181712.jpg

He needs a dark quiet place to rest for the night. Poor guy.
Can he drink?

I’d like you to see if he can because that will determine if he can swallow. And if he can swallow it’s likely that his trachea is okay.

The “whistling” is concerning. Where is the sound coming from. His face area or his chest?

Because if it’s his chest then there are internal injuries to consider.

You should probably keep him separate from now on. That rooster shouldn’t need anything special. He’ll be totally fine. It’ll take a few days to a week before he’s back to himself though.

He is apart he just saw treats and got excited. He won't got back out until he eats pellets on his own. We've been meaning to get rid of his brothers so he'll be the only boy in his flock soon.

He just bawked! So at least he can vocalize and is aware enough to try and tell ladies he found scratch. He won't eat it though. He did tip his head back and drink water I dripped on his beak so he can swallow and has some sugar in him now.
You should probably keep him separate from now on. That rooster shouldn’t need anything special. He’ll be totally fine. It’ll take a few days to a week before he’s back to himself though.

He's bright and alert this morning! His swelling is going down a bit, he's walking and talking to me, and he's already trying to eat hard food I think he's going to be just fine. He'll get a few more days of rest and then he'll be back out with his ladies. His brothers are leaving today so he won't have to worry about them again.

...Not so easy to mark up a screen grab with your finger apparently.
But the alignment of his actual beak side to side and from the top looks pretty straight to me. I held a straight edge against the photo but couldn’t use it to draw. Someone at home on their computer may be able to assist here.

By the look of his eye though I’m fairly certain that to start off with,
the orbital bones might be broken because his injury certainly doesn’t look or sound as if it’s merely soft tissue damage.

58E0F083-C773-4084-A2CC-312DDA1C0AE8.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom