Was supposed to be 23 pullets but....

wolfinator

Songster
8 Years
Aug 28, 2015
Mountains of Fayette County, WV
I bought 17 chicks from TSC all pullets, then bought 6 from Rural King that were assured to be all pullets. Well, the 3 New Hampshire reds seem to be pullets but the 3 black Australorps may not all be. One is definitely but the other 2 - not so sure. Also I'm questioning the breed of one of them plus the sex. Both are approx. 5 - 6 weeks old. Photos will show what I mean.

This the one I'm questioning the breed and sex of. Photos 1-4 are of same chicken.
20180508_100749.jpg

20180508_103000.jpg
20180508_103125.jpg
20180508_103050.jpg

Any thoughts on the above one?

Now this one is a black Australorp but I'm not sure what's the sex. Both photos (5 & 6) are of same chicken.
20180508_103151.jpg
20180508_103241.jpg

Thanks for any input.

Last edited:
Top 4 photos are all of same chicken. Last 2 of 6 photos are a second chicken. That's what my thought is on the black Australorp. I've never had any barred rock chicks, only adults so I wasn't sure. Thanks.
I'm not positive on the Australorp, but lean cockerel. It's worth trying again if 2 or 3 weeks just to make sure. It would be a shame to accidentally give away a pullet.

I'm not positive on the Australorp, but lean cockerel. It's worth trying again if 2 or 3 weeks just to make sure. It would be a shame to accidentally give away a pullet.
I'm praying pullets on both but gut says cockerel on Australorp. I've already got 6 roosters (yr old) I'm still trying to rehome so I don't need another. Thanks again.

The combs not red on that second chick, so I'd give it more time before deciding. First looks to be a pullet. I stink at telling most breeds, so I'll leave that to the others.

The black and white chick is a barred rock. That color is sex linkable, meaning the males and females have different coloration. Females have more black in their barring, and more black on the legs. Roosters have more white in their barring, and more yellow on their legs. I do not see any indication that your barred rock is a rooster. She has more black in her coloration then white.

The Australorp looks like cockerel.

The black and white chick is a barred rock. That color is sex linkable, meaning the males and females have different coloration. Females have more black in their barring, and more black on the legs. Roosters have more white in their barring, and more yellow on their legs. I do not see any indication that your barred rock is a rooster. She has more black in her coloration then white.

The Australorp looks like cockerel.
Thank you. The more I look and read about BR's, I'm having to agree. As for my Australorp, agree too. Now I've got to rehome 6 - 1 yr old roosters and a cockerel. I've already got 12 total roosters, now 13.

ANY ONE WANT SOME ROOSTERS???
I've got way too many.
Available are 2 buff Orpington's, 2 black Australorps plus one cockerel and 2 Barred Rocks. I'm in Fayetteville, WV. Please let me know, I don't have way to ship - must pick up. 30 for all or 5 each, except cockerel - 2 for him

Back
Top Bottom