Washington State Dep. of Wildlife---AHHHH!! They wont help!!

Quote:
The suggestion to contact legislators is great. I have actually been considering it and I know JUST who to contact. I took a trip to our state capitol a few years back and know which legislators would help me the most. So I just might do this.

you might also try calling your sheriffs office and ask about nusiance trappers in the area that deal with cougars. here in ohio i am listed with several counties and get calls about various species...some i deal in and some i dont. hopefully this might help. good luck!

Quote:
SSS

Not sure I entirely understand...sorry!
hu.gif

I work with a gal here in Olympia who is a nuisance trapper for the state. Next time I see her I'll ask her about the rules and if she's interested. I'm back at work Saturday, I think we're on the same weekends. I'll PM you if she wants to check it out or has any advice.

Erin

We used to get cougar sitings in my home town in Northern CA, once a woman found one watching her toddler through her back window! They usually only came into town after large logging operations though. Anyway I don't know too much about how to keep one away, I would say trapping it would be the best option- I also agree with everyone about contacting your legislators. Mean while make sure to have some bear pepper spray, and good noise makers around just in case- I have a park ranger friend who recommends air horns.

Good luck!

Hi guys,

I contacted Komo 4's problem solvers last night and already got a call back. Now I need to talk with some of my neighbors to see who else has seen/heard it. Maybe this will get the ball rolling!

NurseELB, That would be FANTASTIC!! Thank you!!

Quote:
As it should!

thumbsup.gif

OP- as with any wild animal that comes near humans, the cougar is looking for food.
Make sure it cant get an easy meal in your neighborhood, and it should move on.

20-30 years ago there were no cougars . . . thats NOT a good thing!

Last edited:
Having livestock and gardening hobbies gives an entirely new perspective on wildlife.

It always amazes me how one neighbor in a suburb thinks racoons are cute and intentionally feeds them while other neighbors are trying to raise sweet corn and chickens.

One neighbor loves to see deer and rabbits in the backyard, feeds them, gives them safe haven, posts deer-crossing signs everywhere, protests against hunting and control efforts at every opportunity. The next door neighbor tries desperately to keep their pride-and-joy plants from being decimated by rapidly multiplying and hungry deer and rabbits, and has to treat a child for Lyme's Disease acquired from a deer tick in their own backyard.

I personally have a neighbor who heard stories of a bear with cubs and/or wolf sightings in the field next to my house and wanted me to call her if they returned because she "wanted to see one in The Wild". Now, I do NOT consider the corn field next to my house as "The Wild" personally, and I am not thrilled with wolves and/or bears in the vicinity of my oblivious children, carefully-tended blueberries or pet chickens. This is West Central Wisconsin, we haven't dealt with wolves or bears in 70 years. Most of us did not move here to be in "The Wild" and those of us who grew up here do not necessarily think it is progress to revert to "The Wild".

When North America was a colony of European powers, we did not want to emulate the policy where all wildlife belonged to the King, and poaching the King's Deer that was eating your cabbage supply was punishable by death. So wildlife belongs to everyone. And everyone has a different opinion on how it should be managed, especially close to human habitation.

I hope the OP is able to find a way to protect the cougar while protecting their neighborhood.

Back
Top Bottom