Washington State Dep. of Wildlife---AHHHH!! They wont help!!

KristaChickenWhisperer

Songster
11 Years
Sep 1, 2008
Lake Stevens, WA
So for the past month we have had at least three cougar sightings and have been haunted by having to hear it scream almost every other night.

Concerned for our animals, and the kids in the area we called the State Department of Fish and Wildlife. They told my mom they wont come and trap it and WE have to make it go away. Angry, I called today and here is what the lady told me:

The officers wont come trap for a sighting, or because cats have been killed. So I say "Well what happens if it comes onto my property and kills my chickens? I consider that damaging MY property."

She replied with "Its your responsibility to keep your chickens in a pen."

FUMING at this point I say "They are in a pen, and a coop. But chicken wire ISN'T going to stop a cougar. And I am sure it has enough force to rip my coop doors off their hinges."

She agreed. But said that even if it kills my chickens they STILL wont come trap it. So I asked what it would take and she said it would take for someone to get attacked or if it killed something like cows or sheep.

My family, and my neighbors are all really frustrated! We have children that play in the are and its not abnormal for cougars to stalk kids. (Its happened twice this year in different areas)

PLUS I consider my chickens just as important as someone's cows or sheep. As a soon-to-be poultry science student my chickens are basically my research and livelihood!! (And I have spent a lot of money raising them!)

I am at the end of my rope with this people and I DON'T want to wait until someone gets hurt to get this thing out of my neighborhood, which is a residential part of the city of Lake Stevens, WA.

Does anyone know if there is anything I can do?

Quote:
#1 reason I left Washington after 25 years. The Seattle Metro area has WAYYYYY too much control over the "REAL" State of Washington. Whack jobs doesn't come close. I heard it as "Washington has been Californicated". If this offends you, maybe you should look in the mirror and consider the stupid laws passed by a bunch of idiots who don't have a clue how the "REAL" world works.
Lets hold hands now and sing, okay.

My earlier comment about the poor cougar having "rights" was a poor attempt at being facetious. Since when is an animals life more valuable than any human. Even the whack jobs.

First, I do not live in Washington State--I live in Oregon, their southern neighbor. We have a home in the city and one in a small coastal town. I was born and raised in New York City and spent summers in a country home upstate with many predators close by--cougars, bears, etc. I vote in every election.

I have to say I sympathize with you and folks who live near wildlife. I do however, do not think it is appropriate to say Seattle is not the "real state" of Washington or call any one a "whack job." May I ask how are you qualified to make such assumptions? I also am not sure that those who live in the country are the only ones who know how the "real world" works. Large cities actually have a lot of influence in the real world and pay a high percentage of the taxes which pay for various amenities for the state. It is also true that many city dwellers are fully aware of the plight of the rest of the world and vice versa. It also insinuates that Seattlilites do not care about the rest of the state's population. I find that to be a bit presumptuous. I also believe people who choose to live near wildlife need to be aware of the dangers and take proper precautions. If I saw a cougar attacking a person you bet I would shoot the cougar, but I would not kill it otherwise. I think if all wildlife is relocated when folks moved into their territory I would have to wonder where it would end? The balance of nature is complex and reaches far and wide. If we continue to change it for our needs all the time than we will kill our planet (we actually are already).

Its not black and white--it is shades of gray. If folks only think of where they live (country or city) then who should look at the big picture and make the hard choices? If not the general public then I would recommend impartial experts. Those who gain or lose nothing--or it will always be suggested the other "side" decided.
smile.png

How about trying an electric fence? Would't stop it from going over but might stop it from getting into the coop. Good luck on whatever you do.

Its only going to get worse. Since the state banned dog hunting for cougar the populations have exploded. Next you'll be told to make sure your kids are properly penned.
Don't you know that that cougar has rights??
idunno.gif

Call your legislators, state and federal, and keep calling until someone does something about it. Make a list of who you called, who you talked to in their office and what they told you. If you don't have some sort of response about what can be done within a week, call your local TV stations. Don't give up; you might help to bring about new legislation that may help all of us or at least the poultry owners in your state.

Sorry to hear about the lack of cooperation. We had a pair of American Bald Eagles hang around our property early this Spring. They took two of my geese. I actually saw them hunting. I had never seen eagles up close and personal before. They were also eyeballing tiny little goats that we keep. I contacted my Game and Parks division prepared for the run around - esp. in reagards to our National Bird. I was shocked at how helpful they were. He gave me some pointers that I had to try - if the Eagles had not left the area. He was going to "take them out" my claim/call was the first in his immediate area but other G&P Officers had rec'd similar stories. If they damage your property here in Nebraska the Game and Parks are very supportive. We also had a cougar take foal from my Dad's farm about 1.5 hours West of here - again, they were very supportive. They tried to track it several times. It has since been destroyed or has moved on. Is there another division or maybe a different person in the same organization that you talked to - that may be able to help a little more?

If all else fails...have you contacted a tv station? A newspaper?

#1. Do you vote? We live in a state loaded with a bunch of whack jobs from Seattle who want to tell the rest of the State what to do. Don't restrict someone else's right to do something, just because you don't participate in it. (Not directed at you) We folks in the country are left to deal with their ideas of how we should live. Remember that every time you head out to vote.

#2. There are a number of licensed cougar tracking groups in Washington who work for WDFW. You may wish to contact them to head out and harrass the kitty cat. They enjoy running their dogs, and when run out of an area a number of times, they usually stay away. Check with the WDFW.

#3. September 1 is the opening of cougar season in some units, including where you live, but that is archery. Then ML on 9/25, and in mid October, any weapon opens.

Are you in a city, or just near the lake? Best of luck in a difficult situation.

Exactly what would you have the state authorities do?

The cougar is living right where he is suppose to. It is up to you to protect your property.

I'd get myself an electric fence and some noise makers.

Back
Top Bottom