Washingtonians Come Together! Washington Peeps

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by Nifty-Chicken, Oct 19, 2012.

1. FirewifeJess

FirewifeJess Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2012
    Gallifrey
    This was my point exactly. We all do what we can, and what we're comfortable with. Right now I'm doing as much as I can possibly manage, while also home schooling and managing a home. Our children we cloth diapered, I use cloth pads and a menstrual cup; we don't use paper towels except for bacon grease (all other uses are subbed with kitchen cloth); we have bathroom cloth for our family and T.P. for guests; we drive as little as possible while still not being hermits; we got our own chickens, we are planning a garden, we eat whole foods, we don't use conventional medicine or doctors, etc. It's what I can manage. Anyone who feels convicted to change something n their lives to be more earth friendly should absolutely do what they can, but basically you said that using peat moss is irresponsible since we know better. Well, I could make that same argument for SO many of the things listed, but I would never tell someone they're being irresponsible by using disposable diapers...or....or....or....

Get my point? We all do what we can, sometimes adding things in, sometimes taking things away. Nobody can do it all unless we go aboriginal and live in mud huts with loin cloths and farm our own food and animals.

2. Totalcolour

Totalcolour Chillin' With My Peeps

3. Hinotori

Hinotori Silver Feathers Premium Member

Apr 27, 2011
    Graham, WA

4. RaZ

RaZ Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Apr 20, 2011
    Caseville, MI
    Might I suggest a raised bed or two? Or container gardening? Good results with reduced labour. They can be made mobile to take advantage of available light and growing conditions.

5. mikeyb

mikeyb Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 3, 2010
    Rochester, Wa

6. Hinotori

Hinotori Silver Feathers Premium Member

Apr 27, 2011
    Graham, WA
    Start small. Can always expand some each year. Lets you work up to it as well.

If you have any bending issues, raised beds or pots help with that. My mom can't bend really, so she's gone to just planting in big pots. Peppers and tomatoes do great for her. She's over on the dry side, so she doesn't have to worry about fruit ripening. Here you can move the pots to the warmest sunniest spot and cover if needed if we get to much rain.

I'll be planting my tomatoes in pots this year I think. Put them on the back (south) side of the house. It gets very warm there and the grapes aren't big enough to take up all the space yet. The chickens will have to just deal with me taking their favorite sun bathing spot.

7. Totalcolour

Totalcolour Chillin' With My Peeps

8. TurtlePowerTrav

TurtlePowerTrav T.K.'s Farm

Jul 29, 2012
    Oregon City, OR
    My Coop

9. mikeyb

mikeyb Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 3, 2010
    Rochester, Wa

10. RainMom

RainMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2013
    Hobart, WA
    "Coir", AKA: Coco fiber. it's made from coconut husks. It even looks like peat moss.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by