Washingtonians Come Together! Washington Peeps

Yikes!! That is really scary.
hu.gif
I feed cheaper dry food, but mix it with rice and usually make a gravy out of meat drippings. I never feed my dogs canned food, I can't take the smell. Once or twice a week, they both get a home cooked meal, especially when the weather is colder. I just feel it gives them a little more nutrients. My small dog has been reacting to the cheaper foods lately though, so I think I am going to have to switch him to a food that has no corn/wheat products. Then we will have less poop too.
celebrate.gif

Cheap dog food isn't cheap. I did the math on my brothers dog before. he was feeding cheap as he could find but having to feed 12 cups of food a day with scraps on top. I switched his dog to kirkland lamb and rice and his dog was offered only 3 cups of food a day and wouldn't eat it all. He got full, and he got very fat. They kept thinking he had worms because the cheap food he was eating so much and losing weight.

Cheap dog food isn't cheap. I did the math on my brothers dog before. he was feeding cheap as he could find but having to feed 12 cups of food a day with scraps on top. I switched his dog to kirkland lamb and rice and his dog was offered only 3 cups of food a day and wouldn't eat it all. He got full, and he got very fat. They kept thinking he had worms because the cheap food he was eating so much and losing weight.

Athena weighs 80 pounds and eats about 3 cups a day. Zeus weighs 50 pounds and eats 2 cups. Some days they don't finish it all. If it's an egg or meat day, they won't touch the dry food that day sometimes.

Zeus had been getting a bit fat. He wasn't eating his food, but was stealing all the cat food. We've fixed that.

Last edited:
Quote: My dogs helped themselves to fruits in the garden. They can taste sweet. That indicates dogs are omnivores rather than true carnivores.

I had a male schipperke that would climb the pear tree and pick the fruit, then go eat it. I'd find dropped pears all over partially eaten.

My female schip LOVED oranges. She couldn't figure out how to open them, so if she stole one from the table, she'd bring it to you to open. Apples, pears, watermelon. She liked all fruit, but she'd do anything for an orange.

Dogs are about halfway to true omnivores. They are more like foxes in their dietary habits, than wolves. Given enough time, they will develop longer intestines like we have. They've been living in association with humans so long that they have changed just as we have.

Quote: I got mine from Baxter Barn in Fall City, he'll sell you a Rx bottle of it for cheap, then you don't have to buy a gallon of it.

So, the Home Depot guy went all the way back to Aberdeen, and drove all the way back here & this time delivered our 2 shower stalls.
Shower stalls are 36 x 48 and the crates seem to be at least 2 feet longer.but would make a nice start for a coop OR 2 separate breeding coops for just a few birds.

FREE COME GET THEM (before I decide I wanna keep them
tongue.png
)

DH says NO WAY !!!!!!!!!!!!
If no one claims them, he is gonna cut them up & have a bon fire.

They are 69" LONG
37" WIDE
44" TALL
Seriously, put plywood on the sides, frame a door & a window for air & light, add a roost inside...and PRESTO !!!!!!!!!!
Putting the 2 together to make a single 74" wide X 69" long would be even more coolness~~~~~~~~~~~
Or stack them & do a shed roof on top & make a 2 story coop ?
I made one kinda like that years ago & it had 3 floors with ramps, and 1 big door to open for cleaning...nest boxes on all 3 stories & roosts on top...it was cool, and we called it the (get ready)

Chickie-Boom-Box...................LOL
anyone seriously interested PM me, or else Einstein is getting the saw-zall out !
I wish I could take one of these off your hands! I need to build my perm-coop this weekend... Still need to find the hair for it.
lau.gif

J/K

Quote: I'm hoping to make some honeysuckle soap!
big_smile.png

DawnG: This stuff sounds amazing! I wish I was going Saturday.
hit.gif

Quote: So how do you keep it dry?! I'm planning a 6x10 run that will be covered but with all the sideways rain we get, I'm preturbed at how to keep it dry.

Last night, sitting alone at an awards dinner (I got there late and the table with my coworkers was full), my bosses, bosses, boss sits next to me. He is the bad guy that made us lay off people last year (grrrrrrrrrrrrr). Turns out, he lives near me, our kids go to the same school, he has 5 rescue dogs and.........takes in rescue chickens too. He admitted to being crazy about his chickens and loves spending time with them.

I may not look at him the same anymore.
Darn bad guys working their way into our hearts with chickens!!!

Quote: I love this!

My dogs helped themselves to fruits in the garden. They can taste sweet. That indicates dogs are omnivores rather than true carnivores.

dogs are opportunistic Carnivores. If they were omnivores then my dogs would be suffering from the diet i have them on but they thrive. Feeding fruit and veggies just creates more poop. meaning they don't absorb anything from it. it's just filler. Eating it doesn't mean that they NEED it. I mean we don't make a point of eating candy with every meal because we like to eat it.
I did a lot of research before feeding my dogs this way. Everyone has their own opinion on it but few actually took months of reading books, and websites.

I can't believe I caught up!

One of my other BA's started laying today! I came home on my lunch break to TWO brown eggs! So exciting!!!
celebrate.gif

I HAVE TO HAVE TO HAVE TO build my permanent coop this weekend, my poor little babes are way too big for the pen they've been in! And of course it's supposed to rain all weekend! I have no idea how I'm going to pull this off... I need some Harry Potter magic. I will post pics and my plans as soon as I have some.
big_smile.png

FireWifeJess: I watched BD2 about 4x's this weekend! LOVE IT! The ending TOTALLY threw me off.

I CRIED when I saw Carlisle get killed. I was so infuriated!!!

But Jacob's little strip tease??? ooh la la!!! hehe!

Back
Top Bottom