Wasps nest in chicken coop

annabelle08

Songster
5 Years
Mar 6, 2016
Last night while putting up a solar light in the coop, I saw a wasp nest on the ceiling. Does anyone have any ideas of how to get rid of it? The wasps were flying around me at the time, although none stung me.

I don't know what your coop looks like or how easy access it is. Are you allergic to wasp stings? I assume you are talking about paper wasps? Personally I just knock the nest down. If the chickens don't soon tear the nest up eating the larva I get rid of the nest so the larva won't hatch. Mine usually don't.

I don't worry about the wasps as I am not allergic. If they get down low enough the chickens will eat them. I remember my wife stunning a wasp and dropping it into a brooder of two week old chicks. Those chicks had a blast playing keep away with it and finally eating it.

My solution may not work for everyone. In any case, I would not spray it with poison as I would not want the chickens to eat a poisoned wasp.

Thanks, didn't know the chickens would eat the larvae and I was afraid of getting stung all over.

A lot of the time mine will not eat the larva but I give them the chance at free protein.

You can get stung. I don't know how good your access is or how hard it would be for you to knock the nest down safely.

I'm not worried about the wasps hurting the chickens, I knock the nest down to stop them from reproducing. Most of the time they won't bother you if you leave them alone. It's the times I forget they are there and bump into them that I get stung. Plus a worry is that a visitor may be allergic to the sting.

Last night while putting up a solar light in the coop, I saw a wasp nest on the ceiling. Does anyone have any ideas of how to get rid of it? The wasps were flying around me at the time, although none stung me.
Can you post a pic of nest... and approximately how big it is?

Also.....
Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, (laptop version shown), then it's always there!
upload_2019-10-14_17-33-50.png

Back
Top Bottom