Waste on chickies bottom

newbiechickie

In the Brooder
6 Years
Mar 17, 2013
I was checking my 2 week old Easter Egg layers and one of them had waste on its bottom, so I cleaned it off and put it back with the rest. I checked it again today and it had the same thing again. Am I doing something wrong? I am feeding 18% chick starter and they have water avaliabe at all times. I just dont understand why this little one is having problems like this, everyone else seems to be fine.

S**t happens lol, just keep cleaning them off they will grow out of it. you might try trimming the fur off his tush where it catches.

My babies were having the same problem at first but I read a post recommending you put a tsp of unfiltered apple cider vinegar in their water and we have been totally clean-bottomed since. I got mine at Walmart and put a little in their water bottle everytime I clean it. The chicks love it. Good Luck.

Thank you! I am new to this hatching and raising baby chicks. I just bought these little guys so I don't know if it had anything to do with stress of shipping or not. I will trim the fluff of its bottom and add the apple cider vinegar to their water. Thank you all so much!

Get the unpasteurized apple cider vinegar "with the Mother" and add 1 teaspoon per quart or 1 T. per gallon. You can also give them some plain yogurt mixed in with their crumbles. These will help their digestive systems get on track and no more pasty butt!

Here's an excerpt from Bragg's ACV site...

Natural ACV should be rich, brownish color and if held to the light you might see a tiny formation of "cobweb-like" substances that we call the "mother." Usually some "mother" will show in the bottom of the ACV bottle the more it ages. It never needs refrigeration. You can also save some "mother" and transfer it to work in other natural vinegars.

The "Mother" is a product of the fermentation process. Regular vinegar or regular apple cider vinegar does not contain the properties you are looking for and need to help with certain health or digestive issues. Bragg's is just one brand - Heinz is also making one with "the mother" now. It will say right on the bottle "unpasteurized, with the mother". Some people can find it in their local grocery stores or walmart - if not, you can find it at a health food store.
Hope this helps!

One other thing you might want to check is making sure the temp in the brooder is not too warm or is appropriate for 2 week old chicks. But its sounding like its just this bird. And could just be the fluff design back there. Acv x2. And just a little time growing out of it. There are just some chicks that get a little pasty. :)

Back
Top Bottom