Water Glassing: Egg Preservation Experiment!

Pics
I was going to update my water glasding but saw your post and decided to put it here. I have 13 hens and still get 8-10 eggs a day. Sooo.... back in november I water glassed a lot of eggs. They are 3 months stored. I bought the plastic container I saw on a homesteaders video. I have taken some out and have only tried boiling them. I washed them before boiling them. PRO's....taste fresh. peel easy. No lime taste.
CON's... you have to prick the shell before boiling them. which I didnt do, so they cracked after putting them in boiling water! Next I will try frying them. Then update.
That’s great info! I guess it’s reasonable to expect them to crack because the line seals the shells. I wouldn’t have thought of that so I’m glad you shared your experience!

CON's... you have to prick the shell before boiling them. which I didnt do, so they cracked after putting them in boiling water!
I think the problem is the boiling water. I put my eggs into cold water, place eggs inside, and start to cook. My eggs do not crack for most part. Yes, there are some that do, but most don't.
Try water same as temperature of lime water, and then see how things go. :idunno

I think the problem is the boiling water. I put my eggs into cold water, place eggs inside, and start to cook. My eggs do not crack for most part. Yes, there are some that do, but most don't.
Try water same as temperature of lime water, and then see how things go. :idunno
That's how I usually soft/hard boil mine too.

Hey everyone! Sorry I'm so far behind, but it looks like questions have been answered...thank you for stepping in @cavemanrich & @TooCheep! 💗

We are in the middle of a major kitchen remodel and I haven't taken the time to try anymore of the eggs. I will try and cook some next Wednesday! I think I will cook some in my Instant Pot to make hard boiled and see how well they come out. I will also fry a couple up and see how they look after 4 months!

We actually had some fresh eggs all winter, which kind of surprised me and I think most of my girls have started laying again as we are getting 7-8 eggs daily now!

This is so exciting! Thanks for sharing all the efforts. I just started saving my eggs in lime water. I have 4 chickens and it's just me and hubby so I'd like to save enough for next winter. The one thing that stumps me is trying to get them pointy end down as Carol from Homesteading Family recommends. Not working well. They tend to fall over as they wait for the next day's eggs to prop them up and then 4 around the jar doesn't fit tightly standing up. So I'm not worrying about that. This is my first full jar from this week and just started a second jar. I only get 2-4 a day and a couple were dirty so we put those in the fridge. IMG-0717.JPG

This is so exciting! Thanks for sharing all the efforts. I just started saving my eggs in lime water. I have 4 chickens and it's just me and hubby so I'd like to save enough for next winter. The one thing that stumps me is trying to get them pointy end down as Carol from Homesteading Family recommends. Not working well. They tend to fall over as they wait for the next day's eggs to prop them up and then 4 around the jar doesn't fit tightly standing up. So I'm not worrying about that. This is my first full jar from this week and just started a second jar. I only get 2-4 a day and a couple were dirty so we put those in the fridge. View attachment 2729675
You're welcome! I didn't worry about how I placed them in the jar! I would love to see your results. We are still in the middle of a huge project, so I haven't been able to be online much or keep up with this. My eggs are still in the jar in my basement. As soon as I have time I will update how they are doing.

Back
Top Bottom