waterfowl newbie question.

chickalator

Songster
11 Years
Mar 5, 2008
Senoia Georgia
i have some quaestions on ducks and geese. how long after hatch do geese start to lay? how long after hatch do ducks start to lay? in your opinion should i get pekin, blue swedish, fawn white runners, toulose geese, african geese, or whit chinese?

Get whatever appeals to you.
jumpy.gif

Waterfowl usually start laying as yearlings.

Hello, my Cayuga duck has started laying ay 6 months old. Still waiting for my white crested to start, she is 7 months. My Cayuga duck is so much more laid back and friendlier than the white crested. Just my experience
idunno.gif

Also, what are the main qualities you are looking for? They all have very different temperaments. For instance, my Pekin thinks it's a lap duck, not typical.. but they do tend to be calm and friendly. My runners are terrified of me. My Appleyards are sweet and curious. The khaki Campbells are nervous but lay better than my best chickens.
..and then there is the noise factor. Not all birds are created equal in those reguards.

generally they begin laying at about six months but it varies with the breed of duck. pekins are lousy at sitting nests and must have their eggs incubated. khaki campbells are sweet and good mothers as are muscovys. runners are good but a bit high strung for my taste. not a pro on geese, sorry. if I had to choose between muscovy and campbell the muscovy get my vote.

Back
Top Bottom