Wazine and Eggs (worm medicine)

Sparklee

Songster
11 Years
Jul 28, 2008
Back of bottle of Wazine says that it's not for egg laying birds.

Folks here say to just wait 2 weeks and then eat the eggs because the wait time for butchering after using Wazine is two weeks.

However, there are more than two weeks worth of eggs in a hen that are developing and some breeding experts indicate that it takes 4 weeks to clear eggs fertilized by one rooster out of the hen before mating her with a new rooster.

So, of course, I could just wait 4 weeks after Wazine use. But I am wondering if anyone knows of any documentation showing why the Wazine bottle says that we shouldn't give Wazine to any egg layer. What do the manufacturers know?

Also, is there anyone that can point me to evidence that Wazine is out of an egg layer's eggs at two weeks after taking Wazine. I'd like maybe a notation in a Vetrinarian book or something like that.

Also, is there any documentation detailing the side effects of Wazine like there are for human drugs. You know, like on TV when they advertise a drug and then tell you that you may possible have kidney failure, asthma, hardening of the artieries, lymphoma, uncontrolled urination, etc.

Quote:
Ohhhdear, I think you misunderstood what the purpose for wazine is and what kind of worms it gets rid of. Chickens pick up and carry NUMEROUS types of worms. If a person has never wormed their chickens, I always recommend they use wazine first. Why? Because wazine gets rid of large roundworms only....it clears the way for using a broad spectrum wormer 10-14 days later. Why so long? To give time for the wormer to do its job, time to expel the worms, and time for the wormer to be expelled as well. If you give your chickens a broad spectrum wormer first without using wazine first, you could possibly kill your chickens. Why? You could possibly kill them with the dead worm overload clogging their system causing toxicity that'll kill them. Broad spectrum wormers such as safeguard,eprinex and all the ivermectins and other wormers kill many, if not all types of worms...therefore the worm blockage/overload. With the wazine, you are clearing out the most common type worm that chickens get (large roundworm)....reducing the wormload so that other worms can be passed.

Quote:
First of all, DE is useless as a wormer, even as a worm preventative. It is good for what it does, keeping things dry. It was given the name "food grade" because it was originally put in grain storage bins, such as corn...and DE was added to the grain to keep it dry from humidity which would cause the grain to rot, hence the name "food grade." DE is useless when wet. The innards of all animals including humans and chickens are wet, DE fails as a wormer. DE might prevent lice and mites through its drying out action, but not an infestation. Other natural wormers may be good preventatives; such as crushed garlic, pumpkin seeds, cayenne pepper....but they wont work against a worm infestation. You might never see a worm in poop. Why would a worm detach itself from its host if it is being fed? If you do see a worm in the poop, it's a sure sign of an infestation and no amount of natural wormers will kill them because thousands already infest your hens innards. That's when you need to use a chemical wormer to get rid of them. Worms steal nutrients from your hens, causing their immune system to weaken making them more susceptable for diseases to infiltrate and eventually kill them through a slow starvation caused by the worms. Apple cider vinegar (ACV) is not a wormer. It is an acidifier which helps in calcium absorption and lower gut PH to help with bacterial issues. I add it to my chickens water daily when I change it out. Save your wazine. When your chickens start acting lethargic, slacked off eating, drinking, egg laying or not at all...or see worms in their poop...you'll need the wazine you purchased. Dont fall into the DE deception and misinformation the producers put out, they are only out to make a sale. Take it from someone who fell into that trap years ago, it failed me as a wormer and it will fail you as a wormer. Been there, done that! https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=2525157#p2525157

Last edited:
The bottle of Wazine I got from my local feed mill clearly states it's not for use for egg-laying chickens. The feed mill owner said she uses it, but doesn't eat the eggs for 2 weeks. I wormed my free ranging hens with it a month before they started to lay.

However, I copied this from someone else's post a week or so ago because I wanted to remember the name of the medicine and dosage. I'm sorry, I didn't copy the author's name to give proper credit, but here's what he/she said;

"I use Eprinex pour on cattle wormer twice a year. 1/2 cc for standard breeds and 1/4 cc for bantams. Push aside some feathers on back and apply. Has no withdrawal period for eggs."

Frankly, I don't care for the Wazine and plan on taking it to our township's yearly collection day for bad chemicals. From what I've read it's ineffective on most of the parasites chickens pick up, and I don't want to throw out 2 weeks' worth of production.

Just my 2 cents worth.

You usually need to use 2 different types of wormers 14 days apart. Most people use Wazine first because of how it works - it paralyzes the worms. If you have a major infestation then you don't want to give them something that will get rid of all of the worms at once because that can actually clog up their systems as they try to expel them and kill the chicken.

I used Wazine first, then used Eprinex. I hated to lose 2 weeks worth of eggs, but I figured that it was better than losing my chickens.

Sparklee - I also don't recall seeing an apology to Dawg. If you have such a problem with these message boards, then don't get on here and ask a question.

Speckledhen - Dawg helped me too!
big_smile.png

Quote:
Oh, yeah. Great answer.

I bet this type of answer on bulletin boards has some sort of name. A lot of people relish giving this type of answer. Anyone know if it's got a name?

Of course, they won't be happy to answer my questions. Kinda like the way you weren't. ha. I can't imagine why you would think they'd by happy to answer my questions.

Also, is there anyone that can point me to evidence that Wazine is out of an egg layer's eggs at two weeks after taking Wazine. I'd like maybe a notation in a Vetrinarian book or something like that.

dawg gave you a good answer and I'm not sure why you took exception to it. The labs/makers of the products have the most accurate information and the "whys" for use of their products.

The truth is that NO wormers are really accepted for egg laying hens, none of them, though Wazine, which gets only roundworms, supposedly is approved for use in poultry...poultry in general, not necessarily egg laying hens. Factory farms do not worm, no need since birds never hit the ground. The FDA has no stake in researching anything for use by the backyard farmer. This is why we always use products off-label. I haven't even seen the answer to your question in the Merck Veterinary Manual. You may want to go to their site and research it. If it's not there, the manufacturer will be the next choice.​

Back
Top Bottom