We and the girls need a new home! Anyone have or know someone...

You know most of Rantoul is practically empty.. houses around the base and all. Maybe you could look over there.

Good luck, I can't imagine how hard that must be. I could barely find places for us to live when it was 2 adults, 1 child and 1 cat! I can't imagine trying to sneak POULTRY in!
smile.png

I'll keep my fingers crossed for you!!

Quote:
I checked the map and you are about 2 hours away. But we are also about 2 hours from Chicago. Just that we are south west.

I grew up in Cobble Hill / Park SLope area of Brooklyn. I most definetly did not fit in, always wanted horses, cows, chickens etc. Drove my family nuts! I still think I was switched at birth, cause no one else in my family likes farms or even listens to country music.

big_smile.png

Good luck findin someplace.

Lil

Hiya! I lived in Chambana for 8 years - my hubby and I were faculty at UIUC from 1991-1999. I guess you want to stay in Urbana - cause if you go south, east, north of Urbana, you are quickly out in the country, but only 15-20 min from UIUC. Nicer if you can walk, I know...

Check out houses of faculty leaving for their sabbaticals - they would LOVE to have grad students rent their place - and 2 chickens? No problem, I say! If you're lucky, someone from the vet school needs a renter!!! *smile*

Best of luck!

Thank you everyone for all the replies! So many great suggestions to follow up on, I really appreciate it. I'm touched by all of the responses to our....housing challenge.

Check out houses of faculty leaving for their sabbaticals - they would LOVE to have grad students rent their place - and 2 chickens? No problem, I say! If you're lucky, someone from the vet school needs a renter!!! *smile*

That's a great idea, I will start looking into it.
smile.png

I grew up in Cobble Hill / Park SLope area of Brooklyn. I most definetly did not fit in, always wanted horses, cows, chickens etc. Drove my family nuts! I still think I was switched at birth, cause no one else in my family likes farms or even listens to country music.

I didn't feel that way til I moved out here, I never realized how much I disliked living in a city until I left (it was all I knew until 5 years ago). Just thought I was always cranky.
smile.png
My grandmother bought my mom and her sisters each a chick when they were young and they lived in the basement of the house in Brooklyn until they scratched up the car...that's the only family-related chicken story I have, although my grandmother grew up on a farm in Slovakia. They all think I'm crazy, too, and just humor me.

I wouldn't think it would matter if they would be outside - at least with just two.

I will check the ordinance and actually read it this time and see. Thanks for sending the links, they look like nice places. I will have to see if it'll work; if so then life will be much easier!

You know most of Rantoul is practically empty.. houses around the base and all. Maybe you could look over there.

Nope, didn't know, will definitely look at it! Thanks.
I'm in Winnebago...yet about a 2 or so hour drive. If you can't find a place that allows your birds...let us know.

I'm on an acre and half and have 2 daughters.

Thank you, I will certainly keep it in mind, although I hope it doesn't come to that.

Turns out a neighbor a few doors down also has chickens (the postman told me this one afternoon recently while the girls were roaming the yard), we're going to talk to her this weekend to see if she knows of any fellow chicken lovers with rent-able houses. I'll keep this post updated! Thanks again everyone.​

So I checked the ordinances today...absolutely no farm animals, including chickens, in Rantoul, Mahomet, or Champaign. Urbana is ok and Savoy doesn't mention it one way or the other.

I know Bloomington does not allow chickens but Normal does!

I know I am not much help there! Maybe going to a realtor would help you get something like a small country cottage that you can rent to own or rent for a while until things get settled in.

Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom