We did a thing.. expanding the flock!

Gee where to start. Layers i have Silkies, pekin, polish, Barnevelder, Minorca, Araucana, easter and olive eggers plus a bunch of other crosses both bantam and large fowl (to many to list without making a huge post lol). 2020 pure breeding birds I have are Australorp, Sussex, Rhode island red and once I get my eggs and raise them up cuckoo marans
Sounds like a fun flock! We’re looking at some cuckoo Marans as well as a polish for my partner.. she can’t get over the Afro.. needs one lol

What is meant by this: "FOUR hole punched out of the seven" ?
The breeder we got them from punches a small hole in all her chickens foot webs that hatch out of her most saturated eggs. She raises them and keeps most but will sell some occasionally. We hit it off so we’ll, she gave us four chickens that came from her deepest blue eggs that she planned on breeding AND gave us a free lavender! She hole punched them so she can try to breed towards darker blue eggs. Our Cockerel is hole punched. Both of our blacks and one of our lavenders. But we don’t intend to breed the lav

Last edited:
The breeder we got them from punches a small hole in all her chickens that hatch out of her most saturated eggs. She raises them and keeps most but will sell some occasionally. We hit it off so we’ll, she gave us four chickens that came from her deepest blue eggs that she planned on breeding AND gave us a free lavender! She hole punched them so she can try to breed towards darker blue eggs. Our Cockerel is hole punched. Both of our blacks and one of our lavenders. But we don’t intend to breed the lav
I raise heritage birds but different breeds. I have been doing it for a long time. I do show them at poultry shows and have done quite well. I don't toe punch but do band the birds with colored bands to tell who is from what hatch. I do selective breeding too. I don't mix lines but keep them pure. I love it. I have never done a sailing trip like you have but have had plenty of boats over the years. One year we brought a boat down from Massachusetts to Florida. We mostly did the inter-coastal waterway. We had a couple of exciting times on the trip. Good luck with the new member of your family and your breeding program, and have fun.

I raise heritage birds but different breeds. I have been doing it for a long time. I do show them at poultry shows and have done quite well. I don't toe punch but do band the birds with colored bands to tell who is from what hatch. I do selective breeding too. I don't mix lines but keep them pure. I love it. I have never done a sailing trip like you have but have had plenty of boats over the years. One year we brought a boat down from Massachusetts to Florida. We mostly did the inter-coastal waterway. We had a couple of exciting times on the trip. Good luck with the new member of your family and your breeding program, and have fun.
Yeah, we plan on doing the bands too. It’s more effective to me then having to remember or log who’s punched or have to catch and find out. AND I don’t have to make my birds uncomfortable, so we’ll definitely go that route! What breeds do you show and raise? I’m really interested in getting into some poultry shows here down the line (probably a year to a year and a half into breeding so I can get my Araucanas where I want and need them), although my Black n Blue Copper Marans pair, I feel could do some serious damage right now. I just got lucky getting show quality birds with them, but Araucanas (Ameraucana by US standards) are my passion.. so, my intent is to start with them and see how I do with my own productions. My blue cockerel has great structure and the black gals as well.. all are punched so I’m wanting to show the best of my blues, however long that takes.
That’s still quite a decent trip, to be fair.. and I’m a little envious, I grew up in California and every summer vacation my grandpa n I would load up the truck and maps and he’d let me navigate the states.. hit 39, pretty much everything but the east coast.. but I’ve always had that itch to finish it, get Alaska and I’ll be good. We didn’t have money, I was just fortunate to have a grandpa who LOVES nature and can’t sit still lol. thank you so much for all the kind words and encouragement.. I’ll be sure to spam a few baby photos when Miss Killara Rae gets here! And definitely of my first generation when that happens!

Yeah, we plan on doing the bands too. It’s more effective to me then having to remember or log who’s punched or have to catch and find out. AND I don’t have to make my birds uncomfortable, so we’ll definitely go that route! What breeds do you show and raise? I’m really interested in getting into some poultry shows here down the line (probably a year to a year and a half into breeding so I can get my Araucanas where I want and need them), although my Black n Blue Copper Marans pair, I feel could do some serious damage right now. I just got lucky getting show quality birds with them, but Araucanas (Ameraucana by US standards) are my passion.. so, my intent is to start with them and see how I do with my own productions. My blue cockerel has great structure and the black gals as well.. all are punched so I’m wanting to show the best of my blues, however long that takes.
That’s still quite a decent trip, to be fair.. and I’m a little envious, I grew up in California and every summer vacation my grandpa n I would load up the truck and maps and he’d let me navigate the states.. hit 39, pretty much everything but the east coast.. but I’ve always had that itch to finish it, get Alaska and I’ll be good. We didn’t have money, I was just fortunate to have a grandpa who LOVES nature and can’t sit still lol. thank you so much for all the kind words and encouragement.. I’ll be sure to spam a few baby photos when Miss Killara Rae gets here! And definitely of my first generation when that happens!
I have had many different breeds in the past but have settled on the ones in my signature lines. My birds all originally came from top breeders here in the US. I usually make arrangements to pick up birds from shows from breeder I got my original birds. We don't mix lines. I love my birds. Getting ready to set up my breeding pens for this year. I'm going to a show to pick up a SC White Leghorn male. A fox or Coyote got my backup male a few months ago. The first picture is one of my SC white Leghorn males that was a reserve champion at a show. The second picture is one of my Rhode Island Reds who was a champion at a show. Again good luck and have fun...
IMG_20170427_200333.jpg
IMG_3456.JPG

Back
Top Bottom