We (DuramaxGirl & DoubleTake) are starting up the Bators! First Hatch This Year! Starting 1/18/2012!

Oh good idea I have some too. I'll give it to them in the morning and maybe I'll mix in a little garlic and red pepper. They always love that when I do.
I'm averaging 3 eggs a day out of my 5 BLRWs that are old enough to lay... Maybe a little treat will get my younger girls fired up ;)

I'm in! I'm testing my new, homemade bator on some mutt eggs. I just recently blew out the thermostats in *both* of my Genesis 1588 bators
ep.gif
. If that wasn't bad enough, it happened with some pretty pricey eggs
hit.gif
. I got the eggs into my stupid
rant.gif
Brower Top Hatch, but that &#$^%# thing couldn't maintain a temp if it's life depended om it. I still had the parts from my first bator- a homemade styrobator. Unfortunately, I broke the water heater thermostat while modding it
th.gif
. I finally broke down and bought a new thermostat/fan/heater unit from Incubator Warehouse, and tossed it into my new homemade bator.

Oh, how I love Incubator Warehouse
love.gif
. The new unit is a dream come true. It is maintaining some pretty solid temps
bow.gif
. I am attributing the small fluctuations to the fact that the weather up here in N ID has been a bit crazy, and my inside house temps are fluctuating more than usual. Even with the more extreme weather, the temps in the bator are still staying within normal limits.

I have a few more things to do to the bator, then I'll show it off. I re-purposed an unused night stand by insulating the crap out of it with the foil-covered bubble wrap insulation. Very easy to use and no mess. Also will be easy to wipe down between hatches. I found a cabinet door from Bargain Hunt for $3 that fits perfectly. So, with the $65 for the new heating unit from Incubator Warehouse, $15 in insulation from Lowes, $1.50 for hinges, and $3 for a door, I have a nice little bator that is furniture-quality, and holds 6 dozen+ eggs. I still need to test out the auto-turner for fit, but I'm fine with hand turning for now.

Well, that was a really long way of saying that my eggs went in today, so I'll join along for this hatch
fl.gif

Oh I bought my first incubator off of incubator warehouse. They have the best prices! I still have the thermometer hydrometer that came with it. Yes we're having a white Christmas now aren't we! Where was all this snow in December? Ugh I gotta go water the birds in 1 foot plus of snow out there!
Good luck on that bator and we want pics of it!

Oh I bought my first incubator off of incubator warehouse. They have the best prices! I still have the thermometer hydrometer that came with it. Yes we're having a white Christmas now aren't we! Where was all this snow in December? Ugh I gotta go water the birds in 1 foot plus of snow out there!
Good luck on that bator and we want pics of it!

Ack! I don't have nearly that much snow. Where are you at? I think most of my snow blew over from the Rathdrum prairie. I heard that we're supposed to get about 10 days of this?! Not.Fun.

Yes, I'll get pics posted when it's finished
thumbsup.gif

Idahodebra, I am in Sagle, not to far from Cocolalla Lake. Its a small world eh?

Definitely a small world. I'm currently in Hayden, but I have been developing some property in the Rathdrum area, close to Athol. I got Silverwood season passes for Christmas, since we'll be so close by.

What chicken breeds do you raise? I have mostly bantams: cuckoo silkies, seramas, and ameracaunas. My regular birds are Wheaten Marans and Blue Splash Marans, plus 1 EE. I need to get my flock built back up. I plan to add more Marans, and some Orps in different colors. I wish I could have some of every kind of chicken, lol. If only money were no object...

I also have some Muscovy ducks, and I really like them. Hoping to add some peafowl next week. I also have a small herd of dwarf nigies. Hopefully, there will be some spring kids coming!

Hello, neighbor! back atcha! I'm actually in Hayden, but use CDA in my profile, as it's more recognizable. Whereabouts are you?

I also am in the Sagle, area.. DuramaxGirl is my sister and we married brothers so we figured we might as well stay near each other and raise some Chickens!!! Its a good life! DuramaxGirl has Blue Laced Wyandottes and some awesome silvers just coming up not quite laying yet but they are something! I have BCMs, Ameraucanas, Leghorns, New Hampshires and EEs... and plan on adding more to them cause if I stay in the same breeds then its not like I really get any more chickens at all!! Right?? If DuramaxGirl is on I know she would be interested in you Muscovy ducks, she was just talking about getting ducks this spring!! Well she will be on later I know! Good to meet you we should get together some time and visit about chickens!! I mean we are to close to not...
thumbsup.gif

Here are my BCMS getting loaded in the bator!! Can't wait to see those lil babies!!
Here are the EE s going in!

Back
Top Bottom