We got nakins!! (pics)

sunket77

Songster
10 Years
May 21, 2009
Texas Hill Country!
I am so proud of our three new babies! A 4-H friend gave them to us and we just love our new little trio addition of pocket poultry! They are to cute!
meet: Major, Tink, and Minnie ...

IMG_0857.jpg

IMG_0855.jpg

IMG_0854.jpg

IMG_0852.jpg

IMG_0851.jpg

Last edited:
They say we should learn or discover something new every day....so, in the interests of keeping me on track, please educate me about these little "Pocket Poultry". How old is this little trio? Are they going to get much bigger than that? Is that their full growth? Obviously, "Pocket Poultry" is a nickname...what is the actual name for this breed? Darling little faces on all of them!
love.gif
Thanks for sharing!

Quote:
well, I will tell you what I know! Which isn't to much since these are my first nankins! lol!

They are one of the oldest breeds of true bantam (which has no standard counterpart) They helped to make breeds such as the seabright (not sure if I spelled that right) so they go way back. These little ones should about double in size and they are know for being very good pets! Their biggest purpose is mostly for show and breeding and they are known for their broodiness. Due to breeding for more popular show birds (such as the seabright) they have had a drop in population so they can be pretty hard to find.

.... these are things I have been told and have read so I welcome anyone who knows more than I do!

Quote:
Thanks Sunket! I appreciate the info. Once we're done building this monster of a house of ours, and I have more time to devote to the things I love most in life (chickens, gardening and fishing...in that order) I think I'm going to have to check into these little guys. Just as companion animals, mind you.

I don't think I'd ever have the patience for showing. Nor enough knowledge to participate for that matter either. But they certainly look like they'd be fun to have around to spend time in the garden with me. My big girls can be a bit of a devastating force in the garden. Which is why they don't get to go stomping around in there until it's well established each year!
wink.png

Especially after what JuneBug did when I absentmindedly left the garden gate open after just transplanting my lettuce starts last year!
lol.png
Little wench! Pulled up and ate nearly ever last darn one of them! Little piglet even had the temerity to beg for more when I went to give evening treats!
rant.gif
lol.png

Back
Top Bottom