We just found this little guy in our driveway... Can someone help?

kim3335

Hatching
Jun 19, 2016
We just found this little guy in our driveway. None of our neighbors raise chickens that we know of and we have no clue where he might have come from. Does anyone know what kind of chicken this is and what we should do??

He has a good sized bald spot on his back but it looks like feathers are coming in? Not sure if that's how it's supposed to look.

We put him in a small dog crate with a soft towel. So far he's pigging out on the ground up cat food we gave him and drinking water we put in an extremely shallow tupperware lid. http://i.imgur.com/RjnClUn.jpg

From what I can see, I think that may actually be a quail, not a chicken. Can you post more photos?

Right now definitely keep it somewhere warm but not hot, quuet, and with plenty of water and food. Cat food isn't good long term but will work fine for now.

Oh wow I think you're right! Eek so what now? Is this a juvenile? He's so small, but I have no idea how big quails are. Is that bald spot normal?

[/IMG]

Looks like an almost mature Texas A&M about 6 weeks old. The bald spot it's back is some kind of damage. Being fully feathered it doesn't need any special brooding, just food & water. It needs game bird feed, which is around 30%, not chicken or bird seed. I use 28% turkey & quail starter from TSC for my quail. They make good pets, but will fly away. Keep it away from chickens, the germs chickens normally carry can be deadly to quail.

we are taking her to a local vet that works with birds. they're going to have a look at her and then try to connect us with some bird people to see if we can find her a good home. thanks for all of the advice!

Sounds like she is a young Texas A&M quail. And it turns out two of the staff at the vet we brought her to raise quail so one of them will be keeping her. Happy ending for the little lady!

Back
Top Bottom