We need a weird people behaviors section added to the forum

gottsegnet

Songster
10 Years
Mar 19, 2009
Nebraska
I think I need help, seriously. The whole reason we decided to get chicks from the feed store again was because we didn't want 25 chicks. I only wanted eight, and a rooster.

So I go to the feed store and they have, well, they have chicks. And somehow I end up with 18.

Today, I drive into town and on the way home I stop at the feed store. No reason. Just to look, because...I don't know. Because I knew they have chicks, mostly. And I ended up with five more.

I now have purchased 24 chicks.

And I think it isn't safe for me to drive into town again until after the feed store is done with their chick sale.

Last edited:
I doubled up on my feed purchase this month, so I have no excuse to go to the feed store!

Oh. And here is a picture of my first 18, sitting outside while I clean the garage.

life.jpg

It all started with me trying to figure how many straight run Plymouth Rocks I'd need to be fairly sure of getting a rooster. Once my initial number was surpassed, it was like there were no boundaries, anymore!

Well, 'do the math' (chicken math, that is LOL), some might die, some might not be the exact color you want, you might want to start two flocks, you can always sell extras, you can 'grow' some out and sell as "POL" pullets, for 15$ each..
gig.gif
I know there are others out there who have more 'chicken math' excuses!!! Good luck....
lau.gif
wee.gif

Quote:
This is a fairly common syndrome among poultry keepers. The veterinary psychologists recognized this behavior long ago. In the profession it is called "Spring."

The cure, I'm afraid, is a bit arduous. It involves coming to the realization that you will soon have more birds than you have adequate housing for which in turn means you now have to rearrange your plans for the next several weeks to months so that you can build more. This is followed by the later realization that your feed bill has become burdensome. The last phase will be about five months from now when it dawns on you that you have way, way more eggs than you can use so you are faced with the bother of trying to sell them or finding a place to donate them too all the while grumping about your feed bill and the amount of time the blasted things are taking out of your life.

After you have done this for a year (or several for the more intractable cases) you will develop the self-discipline to go into a feed store in spring and NOT bring home any more chicks than the ones you decided on the previous fall. Although I must say that relapses are known to occur in the more susceptible individuals.

And if none of the above applies to you what the heck are you complaining about!
tongue.png
big_smile.png

.....Alan.

Quote:
This is the exact reason why when I was told our TSC wasn't having chick days this year (after I specifcally went there the day I thought chick days would start) I wasn't sure whether to be disappointed or relieved.

BTW: your chicks are darling!

Thankfully, we're intending on eating a few of them. We'll see how that goes since it is our first time!

"Lotsachickenitis"...hilarious!

Does it get better or worse when you start incubating your own? My kids want to do that for 4-H and I was thinking incubating a few here and there would be a good way to replace older ones in the flock.

It is more work up front, but I think I can see the potential for an addiction there, too.

I can see myself canvassing SE Nebraska looking for people who want chickens just for an excuse to hatch more.

Back
Top Bottom