Weak, filthy chick won't grow

JDelage

Chirping
Sep 11, 2016
All - we bought 8 chickens (our first) on 11/4. They were born on 8/23 so they're now 19 week old. In the first few weeks we lost 3, probably to cocci triggered by stress related to their move and the crappy, crappy weather we've had here in Seattle. We did two rounds of a cocci stack (amprolium) each time about 5-6 days. The chickens are now receiving a vitamin mix but that's it. They're sharing each day a burger patty (cooked) and some chosen table scraps (cheese crust mostly).

When the chickens came in they were all about the same size. However, one is significantly lagging behind the others. She's at least 2x smaller than the rest. She's eating and drinking (though I don't know how much) but is always slower and sleepier than the others. She is always hunched up rather than standing upright. She often is pushed off the roosting barre at night which means she falls on the floor and as a consequence her coat is filthy and looks like it's not protecting her as well from the cold and rain as it should. For the last several weeks I have set up a heat lamp under the coop which I turn on during the day so they have a dry & warm spot. I have to turn it off at night otherwise they don't seem to sleep.

This morning I noticed that our sick chicken was flapping around, having trouble to stay upright. She seems better now but I worry her health is deteriorating.

What do you think is the problem? What are things I could do?

Yes they are, of course. Sorry that was not clear. They have full access to their normal food.

The white one is the sick one.

Last edited:
Well, we took her in for the night and she survived. She's now standing, eating, & drinking. Poop is partly liquid with small amount of blood.

If there is still blood in the poop, I would say there still may be coccidiosis, but enteritis and worms should be ruled out with a fecal test of a few fresh droppings by your local vet. What concentration of amprollium (Corid) were you treating with, and how long since the last round? A small amount of plain yogurt in some chopped egg daily would help by adding probiotics and vitamins.

Back
Top Bottom