WEIRD EGGS!! Can someone help identify?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by chick4chix, Nov 23, 2011.

1. chick4chix

chick4chix Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2009
    So Cal
    These have nothing to do with chickens- but thought someone could help identify them. I posted this on the gardening site too - so far nothing. I found these eggs in my compost this morning- they are soft, clear, football shaped, and about the size of a Vit E capsule, or my fingernail. They are strung end to end like a string of pearls. I held one up to the light and gazed inside with a magnifying glass- there is an embryo inside- but I can't identify it. I've looked everywhere on the internet, and it's not frogs, or toads, or lizards, or snails- what are they??? Anyone know?? I thought perhaps someone had come across this and would know what they are.[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Heiko27

Heiko27 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 16, 2011
    I just saw those too in my garden. In the area there were a lot of millipedes, centipedes, slugs and snails, but I don't know

3. LoreenH

LoreenH Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2009
    Oregon
    Maybe slug?

4. h2olilee

h2olilee Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2009
    Vancouver, WA
    They look like slug eggs to me. I'm a big time gardener in the PNW and I see them all the time.

5. chick4chix

Jun 4, 2009
    So Cal
    oh ughhh! I hope not slugs! I was hoping they were something fun I could hatch [​IMG] like "ground dwelling toad/frog/lizard" haha

6. ChicknThief

ChicknThief Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2008
    Nor Cal
    You can still hatch it! Start a "slugwatch" thread [​IMG] Who knows, you could start a trend [​IMG] BackyardSlimies

7. chick4chix

Jun 4, 2009
    So Cal
    Quote:EWWWW!!! OF all the yucky things I dont' mind handling, slugs are NOT one of them! [​IMG] I stepped on one once barefoot and that sensation has never left- you can't wash off the slime! Even my chickens won't touch them! The one that loves snails took a bite of one once, then spent the next half hour wiping her beak on everything and anything (including me) to try and get the slime off- she eyes any insect I hold out for her now with suspicion haha.

8. happyhensny

happyhensny Brown Barns Farm

Quote:EWWWW!!! OF all the yucky things I dont' mind handling, slugs are NOT one of them! [​IMG] I stepped on one once barefoot and that sensation has never left- you can't wash off the slime! Even my chickens won't touch them! The one that loves snails took a bite of one once, then spent the next half hour wiping her beak on everything and anything (including me) to try and get the slime off- she eyes any insect I hold out for her now with suspicion haha.

The only way to get "slug slime" off that I have found is to grab a hand full of sand and rub, rub, rub! Then soap up.. ewwww!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by