Weird eye issue/possible ocular mareks?

Missespenaloza

Chirping
Aug 30, 2020
Has anyone seen this happen to a chickens eye before? Hen is about a year old, noticed this eye issue on Thursday, I think. We separated her and she’s agitated, but seems like maybe due to the isolation. I don’t think it has gotten better or worse since then. Eating and drinking fine. Poop looks normal. Still laying. Pupil doesn’t dilate and the other eye seems to have the same issue, but it is more dilated and also doesn’t dilate or constrict as far as I can tell.

Attachments

• D8E6E0A1-543A-4613-9582-835AFA283761.jpeg
    D8E6E0A1-543A-4613-9582-835AFA283761.jpeg
    482.8 KB · Views: 19
It's possible that it may be Ocular Marek's. @Eggcessive what do you think?

Is there a reason why you separated her? Can she not see well or was she getting picked on?
If she was a viable member of the flock, then separation would have agitated her. There's really no need for separation unless she's not eating/drinking well or acting sick. If it is Marek's, then your whole flock has already been exposed.

I agree that she may be happier back in the coop with her flock. If she is picked on she can be with them, but in a dog crate with food and water. The picture does look like possible ocular Mareks, one of the 4 types of Mareks. Chickens can have more than one type. Here in post 6 of this thread are some pictures of ocular Mareks in a BYC members flock:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/ocular-mareks-symptoms.1144846/
Mareks in the eye usually turns the colored iris grey or faded, and the pupil can appear irregular. This may happen over some time.

I forgot to update. I took her to the vet and he thought it might be brain damage, like she bonked her head or something. So far, no new symptoms and behavior is normal.

Back
Top Bottom