Weird: I can't eat my chickens' eggs! :-O

I used to have a little issue with it but i grow blueberries and tomatoes and i eat those they're delicious! I just kind of started thinking of my girls as blueberry bushes, really loud blueberry bushes. The deal sealer was cracking my very last "organic free range store egg lol!" and comparing it to what my girls offer. That store egg looked just like what it was, sad.

Is it because of a ewthiscameoutofabird'sbehind kind of thing? I hope you can overcome this. Fresh eggs are delicious. No different than the ones you bought at the store.

Doesn't mean she's gone forever I hope... I'd offer the following suggestion...

Next time you empty a store bought egg carton, fill it with your fresh eggs. Now, go buy 2 identical cartons from the store. Put one in your fridge and ask a neighbor if he/she will put the other 2 (one with YOUR eggs, one with store bought eggs) in their fridge for you. Then use up the carton of eggs you presently have in your fridge. Fill it with your farm fresh eggs and ask the neighbor to swap it out with one of the 2 you previously gave them to hold. There's no way (unless you buy white and your hens lay brown or vice versa) you'll be able to tell if you are eating your own or the store bought (unless you're familiar with the differences which you'll come to know and appreciate over time).

Obviously this will not work if you have a variety of breeds/egg colors. But I was thinking if you could make it so you don't know you're eating your own, it might help you get passed this psych issue.

Sue, do you garden? If not, might this be something you would consider? If yes, do you have any issue eating the veggies you grow? Before you consider that my line of questioning is totally out of line, I'd like to expand your "can't eat my bird's eggs" issue and go down the whole "home raised" path with you. Wondering if there might be a first step, enjoying home grown produce that might lead to the second step of enjoying home grown eggs.

No. I don't garden. Interesting thought, though.

Edit: I grew a couple of tomatoes a few years ago and ate those with no problem!

Hi sue:frow does the color bother you? I find my fresh eggs scramble better (way fluffier). I am also not a fan of the occasional "meat" you find in farm fresh eggs but its easily removed. I prefer my own eggs because i know what my hens eat and i know how much hens suffer for those store bought eggs. I suggest cooking some, however you prefer them. If u cant get the nerve up to try them u can give them to the hens

I have plans to make an omelet soon. I do hate how factory egg farms operate and how they treat their birds. :mad:

So did I! Picking up a warm egg from my own flock made me kinda of nauseated. Considering what I've put my hands in in the course of my veterinary tech career, I was really surprised at my reaction. I eventually got over my revulsion and ewwwww factor. Didn't do anything special, just kept collecting the eggs as I didn't want to insult my hardworking gals.

It's so nice to know I'm not the only one! :D :highfive:

So, Sue, welcome back! Lots of folks here to help you with your first egg experience! Seriously, once you eat that first egg, you'll NEVER go back to store eggs again! My hubby can't get me to go out to breakfast with him because that would mean possibly eating a commercial egg! Try them in an omelet, or a quiche, custard, or some other dish that has egg in it as a main ingredient, but that is not real "eggy". Then move forward from there!

Back
Top Bottom