Weird sound/ head stretching...FBAO or something else??

JesNflock

Songster
10 Years
Sep 11, 2013
NE Florida,US
I wanted to post this video about my Roo, Pepper, who out of nowhere started making this weird sound while shaking and extending his head. When I first heard him I thought maybe he was starting to try to crow (He is almost 5 months old and hasn't started to crow as of yet) but then I started to get worried that it could possibly be a respiratory thing which I have never had to deal with but I know it can be bad for the whole flock. He was doing the sneezing/noise/stretching for a little bit longer than the video (He had been acting his normal self all day up to this point) The drool that came out his mouth really was concerning me. I separated him right away from everyone and but he stopped doing all of the above things and began to act completely normal once again. After watching the video of the short ordeal my husband thought he probably had a FBAO after eating something large that (like the frogs they gulp down on occasion lol) might have gotten lodged and blocked his airway partially. I am happy to say that he is doing GREAT now.

I just wanted to share about this event and if you have any comments or advice or you think this is something I need to keep him separated for I let me know ( I don't want to get anyone sick if that's the case, but I don't think it is)

Last edited:
did you feel his crop to see if it was impacted? his eyes were clear so thats good. that usually goes with upper respiratory.
I felt it after he stopped doing the stretching thing and it seemed pretty normal at that time for having eaten all day (I didn't check it when it was happening) I will check it again in the morning to make sure it went down all the way.Now I'm thinking about the fact that we did have a problem when he was only about 6 or 7 weeks old with his crop not emptying properly overnight and had to separate him from the rest, limit his food in the evening and massage his crop in the morning until he was regularly emptying on his own ( He was NOT happy about that, but I had only had chickens for about a month and was paranoid about getting impacted crop.) It worked out well for him though. and he only did the drooling that one time.

About his eyes, I looked for discharge drainage from both his eyes and nose but have seen nothing from either. I try to keep a close eye on them for signs of illness or just not acting their normal selves, especially since I'm still a newbie when it comes to chickens
smile.png

I think I'm going to add some extra grit for them just in case and now I'm gonna check his crop tonight instead of waiting til morning...

I felt it after he stopped doing the stretching thing and it seemed pretty normal at that time for having eaten all day (I didn't check it when it was happening) I will check it again in the morning to make sure it went down all the way.Now I'm thinking about the fact that we did have a problem when he was only about 6 or 7 weeks old with his crop not emptying properly overnight and had to  separate him from the rest, limit his food in the evening and massage his crop in the morning until he was regularly emptying on his own ( He was NOT happy about that, but I had only had chickens for about a month and was paranoid about getting impacted crop.) It worked out well for him though. and he only did the drooling that one time.

About his eyes, I looked for discharge drainage from both his eyes and nose but have seen nothing from either. I try to keep a close eye on them for signs of illness or just not acting their normal selves, especially since I'm still a newbie when it comes to chickens :)

I think I'm going to add some extra grit for them just in case and now  I'm gonna check his crop tonight instead of waiting til morning...
Treat him for worms with Safeguard, worms can slow the crop down, however, others things can cause this. Crossing my fingers he has a flat crop in the morning.

Treat him for worms with Safeguard, worms can slow the crop down, however, others things can cause this. Crossing my fingers he has a flat crop in the morning.
I will do that...I have been thinking I probably needed to do a worming soon anyway so now is as good a time as ever...and if I treat him I will go ahead and treat my girls as well. Thanks, I hadn't thought about worms contributing to slowed crop.

Back
Top Bottom