Weird sounds when breathing*eating [VIDEO]

FoodKillah

Songster
9 Years
Jul 12, 2010
Mediterranean Sea
Hi, sorry for my english.

There is something wrong with one of my hens for the last 3 weeks, when she is eating she gets bothered by something in her neck and stops immediatly, stares in front of her and makes sounds like she is sneezing but by using her voice. Like cough? I cannot describe it perfectly. Then she eats more and more but she always has this problem that bothers her.

I have tried to massage her neck and that bump where the food goes into to find where exactly is what it hurts her, but i cannot find it. I dont know what else to do, i dont know what it could be.

I dont know the age of that hen because i bought her grown 7 months ago. She never had this problem, it started about 3 weeks ago. I first noticed the problem when i was gathering my flock back in my yard because they free ranged too much and left my yard. I believe that she ate something she was not supposed to eat and it might have stuck in there and bothers her everytime the food goes down. She is otherwise healthy happy and strong when this doesnt happen.

Can anybody tell what this could be?
Is it respitory problem?
Does anybody had similar experiences?

Thanks in advance

Last edited:
Sounds like she is making a squeaking sound? Mine do that when they eat too fast and sort of choke on it for a second. Some eat like pigs, you would think they hadn't eaten in a week!

The bump is her crop, where the food is ground up by the grit they eat.

Your English is very good, don't feel like you have to apologize for it!
smile.png

My piggy hens make that chocking, squeaky noise too when they scarf food down. I just figure it's them being greedy and eating too fast!

Quote:
Thanks.

Sometimes i dont know how my threads will turn out so i apologized now so i dont have to explain later. For example i could not recall the word crop even tho i know whats going on in there.

You see, she always ate like a pig, but she never choked on it before, none of my other hens choke and still eat like pigs, thats why i worry about her. What makes me sad is that in her bad situation, when she chokes, the top hen attacks her and sometimes she chokes and chokes so much that she cant get over it and goes into the coop to hide in a silent corner until she feels better and comes out to free range again. I would like to be assured that she is fine because i am considering to slaughter her before she dies of something random that i never found out what it was, i dont want her to suffer. But i also dont want to kill her if that problem is nothing serious for no reason.

Any chance you can open her beak and check her throat for a stuck feather or something like that?

Quote:
I havent thought of doing that! I go right now!

ps: its 7:00 in the morning here
tongue.png

edit after 1 hour, not to double post:

I checked her throat, i cant see nothing.

She also does that sound when she breaths, i have some videos, i will try to upload a video and show it to you. I will try to do it right now.

Last edited:
No its not, the article says that the hens with impacted crop dont move.

Mine is active and acts healthy other than what you see in the video, i dont want to see her getting worse
sad.png

Back
Top Bottom