Weird things only poultry people get.

Pics
A girl I know went all out. She bought an incubator and brooder with all the trimmings. She bought 10 chickens and waited patiently for them to lay eggs. She faithfully gathered eggs every morning and filled her incubator to capacity.
She waited and waited. Day 21 came and went. Day 25 came and went. Nothing. She called me and asked what could be wrong. I said, “ It sounds like your rooster isn’t doing his job.”
Her reply...”But I don’t have a rooster.”
I died.
That's depressing.

People either believe hens can't lay eggs without a cockerel or they think they can hatch eggs without one.
It makes me cry.

I have had people ask me for extra eggs on several occasions. When plentiful, I never minded sharing eggs. As we know, the girls slow their egg production for a variety of reasons, age, moulting, heat, etc. One guy at work asked to buy some once while they were in vacation mode & he told me that I'd better get them laying again. He even suggested that I threaten them with bodily harm if they didn't start making him eggs again. I calmly informed him that I didn't speak to my girls that way & that if he thought it was so easy then perhaps he should try laying an egg.

*Crickets*. And never another word was spoken about eggs.

(Bodily harm indeed! I kept thinking "Yeah, someone's in imminent physical danger, pal, and it's not who you think!)

My mother's friends would say not so funny things...
I showed them the chickens and said, "These are my pets". Then they said, "When are they fat enought to eat? I will pay you money for the fresh meat. We are having a bbq soon." And pointed at the bantam on my shoulder that was sleeping so innocently. ._. My pets I said. Do people eat their dogs? They weren't joking.
I've had people ask if I eat my chickens, too. Even after saying "absolutely not" & explaining that they're my babies. When pressed further, I've been known to suggest we eat their pets or children, since theirs can't make 'em breakfast & pretty much freeload. When the righteous indignation starts I tell 'em I understand completely & just stare at them.

Poor sleeping bantam cutie! Ah the things we insulate them from!

Back
Top Bottom