Weird things only poultry people get.

Pics
I'd actually like to hear people's thoughts on this. [Roosters] Agree? Disagree? Should I start a thread for it?
Well, you didn't include the fact there are actually roosters that are jerks, both to their hens and to their human keepers. I happen to have two lovely gentlemen right now, but in ten years I have had a couple that were not, and I don't put up with the ones that are not. I had one roo that scalped a hen, so he was history. And I had one that flogged my Kid, so I took over the chicken chores to see if it was a fluke or if I could manage him. He then seriously hurt me after attacking me from the rear for no reason, so.... history for him, too. There are plenty of good roosters, so I see no need to tolerate a vicious, dangerous or unpredictable bird. The BJG cockerel I have coming up now shows all the signs of being a real keeper, even though he is probably at his most hormonal stage right now. And my 2-yo EE mutt is a keeper, too. Roos may have a "bad rep," but it isn't entirely undeserved.

Well, you didn't include the fact there are actually roosters that are jerks, both to their hens and to their human keepers. I happen to have two lovely gentlemen right now, but in ten years I have had a couple that were not, and I don't put up with the ones that are not. I had one roo that scalped a hen, so he was history. And I had one that flogged my Kid, so I took over the chicken chores to see if it was a fluke or if I could manage him. He then seriously hurt me after attacking me from the rear for no reason, so.... history for him, too. There are plenty of good roosters, so I see no need to tolerate a vicious, dangerous or unpredictable bird. The BJG cockerel I have coming up now shows all the signs of being a real keeper, even though he is probably at his most hormonal stage right now. And my 2-yo EE mutt is a keeper, too. Roos may have a "bad rep," but it isn't entirely undeserved.
Yep! I agree with that-I was mostly responding to the idea of the stigma being the issue with excess cockerels, not the source of the stigma. I will start a thread to discuss this tomorrow, and will make sure to mention all of this points.

How did I miss most of the rooster talk??

I have to say I am extremely soft with cockerels. I've had one cockerel that used to peck me often, the one in my avatar.
His brother was a bit pecky but settled down eventually. This rooster didn't. He flew at my face one time and almost got it. Then he and his brother attacked my favourite, older rooster and left him upside down in between the shed and a wall..... Not sure how they managed that. We found the roo hours later. (That rooster survived)
I still kept him. He later was killed by his brother. It's like Shakespeare.
All the other lads I've had have been really sweet.

Getting into debt is why I don't want to be an adult....scary stuff. I have evil plans for when I become an adult (Step one: get lots of land. Step two: get chickens, ducks, and quail) (real plans are more complex) (I have a thread for them lol) I still don't know how these plans will turn out.

Having lots of land is a debt in itself. The yearly taxes alone on something I already own and have owned for over 20 years is enough to tick me off.

My neighbor is a city boy relocated to rural Arkansas. Obviously never been around chickens.

He was amazed at the fact that I didn’t have a rooster but was still going to get eggs. I guess you can easily take for granted the things you learn growing up on a farm or the like when you meet someone who has never been around such things!

Back
Top Bottom