WELCOME TO MY LITTLE PIECE OF HEAVEN-kick your shoes off, drink some iced tea, RELAX!

Pics

Matejka

Free Ranging
I have always loved chickens, and recently acquired my first flock. This is my story. We bought 3 Australorp pullets (Randy, Goldie, an Shadow), 2 new hampshire strait run (Brownie and Henrietta) from TSC on March 25. 1 Australorp is a cockerel, 1 is a black sex link (Goldie) and remaining one -what we bought - a black Australorp. The 2 strait run are pullets. More later- my fail at isolating 2 additional birds-1/2 fail at integrating those 2 (my wild child's). Enjoy this beautiful day, pray for rain (after we shred).

I'm back. We got pasture shredded some tree branches trimmed. I got my first egg last Sunday, June 28th, 2 eggs on Monday and 1 egg a day since, the girls turned 18 weeks July 1st. I believe Brownie and Henrietta are the guilty girls.
Now back to my wild child's, Lacey and Coffee. A friend gifted me 2 pullets on June 14th. My initial plan was to isolate 30 days, then integrate, look no touchy feely. THAT WAS A TOTAL FAIL FAIL FAIL. These 2 are game chickens. Wilder than wild. Never been a coop, never had chicken feed, or a waterer. Not much human contact-friend was gonna bring more but, after 3 hours he only caught 2. THEY ARE FAST.
After 10 days, they escaped while I was changing water and feed, swoosh by me and gone.
I figured they gone, proof.
Nope, they are here, first week I would see them 20 ft up in the oak trees every morning. Then they moved to the hayrack in the barn by the coop for 4 days, now they sleep in the coop, with my original 5. More later.

My wild child's hide in the coop until I open the pen gate and let the original 5 out. Then they hop down climb the walls to the top of pen several times, fly down eat, drink scratch around. Boy, they can throw dirt 3 feet behind them. Then they leave coop, fly 10-12 ft up in oak tree and I don't see them again til dark. I'll try to get pics. They have gained weight since they came here. Not bigger in size, just filled out. They are beautiful, sleek and graceful. More later, it's almost dark-I'll try for pics.

I finally got pics of wild child's. Not good quality but woo hoo
20200706_202125.jpg
20200706_202055.jpg
20200706_203625.jpg
20200706_203619.jpg

9 eggs in 7 days. 6 pullets only 2 laying so far. The 2 new Hampshire's -Brownie and Henrietta. Something interesting yesterday, Henrietts kept going back to the coop-she was nesting in the box, pulling hay, getting comfortable. She stayed on the eggs off and on for about w3 hours total-an hour or so and she'd be prowling, then back to coop after 2-3 hours of prowling. Too early for her to go broody-she's 18 weeks and been laying a week, but she's thinking about it. Have a great day, pray for rain. I'm gonna sit here in my little piece of heaven and watch the world go by. Sunday we had 2 vehicles go by the house, oil truck and a water truck. Yesterday, 5 vehicles, oil and water trucks, mail truck, and 2 next door to work cattle. Got new blades installed on mower. Woo hoo!!

A little about my piece of heaven. Our road is 2 mile long and dead ends at a 640 acre pasture. We have 10 acres Next to that pasture. There are 10 houses and 1 oilfield business on this road. 5 houses and the business are in the first 1/2 mile.
3 of the 10 houses are weekend/summer places not occupied much. It is isolated for sure. I am 60 and my man is 84. We've been together for 6 years. Both active and healthy. Our home is 50_90 brick with metal roof. We have a well (never run out-low on water) and septic.
Now the fun part. We DO NOT HAVE cable, satellite, internet or most important AIR CONDITIONING. We have an antenna get approximately 30 channels. I have but DO NOT USE a clothes dryer-clothes get hung on the clothes line. Electric bill is around $70 a month. We are both retired. Later guys, enjoy this beautiful day-it's cooler today. More iced tea.

Sounds like you really do have a piece of heaven there! Nice photos, th as his for sharing!

We're in a similar situation, total isolation, nearest neighbor is about 5 miles away, our driveway is 3 miles of the worst dirt road in America. :lol: We are self sufficient as possible without many of the benefits of cities or suburbs. We love the middle of nowhere lifestyle! :D

Sounds like you really do have a piece of heaven there! Nice photos, th as his for sharing!

We're in a similar situation, total isolation, nearest neighbor is about 5 miles away, our driveway is 3 miles of the worst dirt road in America. :lol: We are self sufficient as possible without many of the benefits of cities or suburbs. We love the middle of nowhere lifestyle! :D
Here is pic of home
20170518_092916~2.jpg

Back
Top Bottom