Well my rooster sealed his fate today Sad day for me

luvchicks8

Songster
10 Years
Jul 1, 2009
new Hampshire
Well I have been trying to keep my rooster and work on his behavior but he crossed the line this morning. Charlie has been charging and threating my kids and the younger pullets. Well my 8 year old son went down to gather the eggs and let the chickens out for free ranging as I wached from the deck, Charlie flew out feet first and spurred my son 3 times before I was able to run down and hit him with the broom, my son had 3 bloody scratches on his arms that were covering his face. Even though he has to go it is hard on me because I have raised him since he was a baby. So now all the chickens are out together for the first time even my 12 week old pullets in peace together as Charlie is locked in the coop awaiting his trip to another home without kids.

Last edited:
I know how you feel, one of ours will be meeting his fate soon in a stew pot. Hubby was feeding while I was out of town and was spurred horribly. Needless to say ut ohhhhhhh! Doomsville! No mean roosters are allowed here.

Sorry about that
hugs.gif
Hope your son is OK.

I don't tolerate any meanies here. Off in the stew pot he would go for sure!

We have a saying here "If your sweet, you don't get eat but if your mean, your going in the beans" LOL Something my kids made up.....and then when we butcher a mean chicken they like to run up and say "Off with your head!"

I too am so sorry to hear that. I am afraid that our roo is fixing to see the same fate if he doesn't straighten up. The older he gets the more attitude he begins to show. I worry for the new babies and the older hens. He even pecks them off the roost at night if he decides he wants their spot.

We just got rid of a sassy roo. He went after my 10 yr old daughter. I went out to see what the ruckus was about and he tried to spur me. I DONT THINK SO! Picked him up and into rooster prison he went. Off to another home (I am woosie - can't do the deed) with adults and no kids.

I read something once by Dr. Temple Grandin, who writes extensively on the subjects of autism and of animal behavior. She has been a consultant for many companies on the humane treatment of animals in the food industry. Her point in this piece was that crossbreeding and inbreeding in animals can cancel out many of their early instinctive behaviors. One effect of this has been aggressive roosters in many breeds. One example was that many roosters no longer do their little mating dance (with the wings dropped) to let the hens know their intentions. it was an interesting article and I wish I had the reference; I'll post it if I can ever find it again.

Back
Top Bottom