Well the Shed to Coop project is about to begin

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by T-Bear, Jun 26, 2019.

1. T-Bear

T-Bear Songster

Apr 20, 2016
    Willis TX
    Due to a Hand Injury, the coop project turned into a prebuilt shed/ remodel. Should make it easier, but easier is a relative term

Attached Files:

2. Aunt Angus

Aunt Angus Crowing

Jul 16, 2018
    Sacramento County, CA
    My Coop
    I want to do this with my next coop build. That's a great looking shed and will be very sturdy!

I am sorry about your hand injury, though. I hope you recover quickly.

T-Bear likes this.
  3. T-Bear

T-Bear Songster

Apr 20, 2016
    Willis TX

Wee Farmer Sarah likes this.
  4. Steven Bussell

Steven Bussell Songster

May 5, 2019
    If I was able to go back and do it again I would probably so with a prebuilt shed as well.. You probably saved money in the long run...

5. T-Bear

T-Bear Songster

Apr 20, 2016
    Willis TX
    Most expensive add on was all the windows. Being in East Texas it gets hot and humid,, but can get nippy in the winter. I figure with this many windows It is basically an open air coop for the summer and locked down for warmth in the 4 weeks of winter :)

6. Steven Bussell

Steven Bussell Songster

May 5, 2019
    Are you going to put your nesting boxes inside

7. T-Bear

T-Bear Songster

Apr 20, 2016
    Willis TX
    I am going to put them inside ,but I am going to put a door on the outside on the side to be able to reach into the boxes without having to go in the run or the coop. Just going to cut out the plywood and make a hatch. I didnt want external because that is the south facing side and the heat build up would be temendous

8. aart

aart Chicken Juggler!

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Too bad you couldn't have added bigger roof over hangs for shade and to protect those open windows from rain.

Nice looking building tho, pics of inside?
    Look forward to watching your progress.
    Damaged hands stink, BTDT, you'll learn to work around it.

9. Aunt Angus

Aunt Angus Crowing

Jul 16, 2018
    Sacramento County, CA
    My Coop
    And don't forget ventilation. Lots of ventilation. But you are going to have a great coop when all is said and done!

10. T-Bear

T-Bear Songster

Apr 20, 2016
    Willis TX
    The windows have a really tight screen and the back windows are fully tree covered. The Girls will only be in there at night. I am building a 12 by 28 foot by 8ft high enclosed run with a Roof cover on it. There will be a back window fan as well to draw the cooler air from the tree side and moving it through the coop. The entire building will be off grid solar and water capture with gutters front and back.

Wee Farmer Sarah and noregerts like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: