Welsummer or Barnevelder? Cuckoo Marans also

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by BikerBabeRules, Mar 15, 2008.

1. BikerBabeRules

BikerBabeRules Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2008
    Vermont, USA
    These are pure bred from the following breeds. I believe I have 3 Cuckoo Marans and the other I believe is a Welsummer, but could be a Barnevelder. Please let me know what you think. My guess from photos online it's a Welsummer but would LOVE it to be a Barnevelder. Thanks!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

2. flyingmonkeypoop

flyingmonkeypoop Overrun With Chickens

Apr 30, 2007
    Deer Park Washington
    The 2 dark ones are barnvelders and the brown one wth stripes is a welsummer.

3. teddiliza

teddiliza Chillin' With My Peeps

Everyone tells me what I have are welsummers, but they don't have that many stripes on their head like yours. I've also been told mine are pullets.

This is what they looked like when I bought them:

[​IMG]

4. flyingmonkeypoop

flyingmonkeypoop Overrun With Chickens

Apr 30, 2007
    Deer Park Washington
    In a patterned variety, chicks dont really look the same. When we got our welsummers, some were really dark, while others were lighter. Kinda like with SL wyandottes, some have stripes on their backs, others dont.

5. ole-crone

ole-crone Chillin' With My Peeps

Were there supposed to be marans in one of those pics. I didn't see any. Cuckoo Marans shouldn't have yellow legs. My Ideal Cuckoo Marans came, some yellow legs, some white.

6. kstaven

kstaven Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 26, 2007
    BC, Washington Border
    None of those chicks show the wing barring one would see with a cuckoo pattern.

7. Kev

Kev Overrun With Chickens

Jan 13, 2008
    Sun City, California
    The only cuckoo is the chick in the broken link(black with white head spot) The other dark chicks are not cuckoo. They are also showing quite a lot of brown on the wings.

The irregular patches on that brown chick's head is due to Pg and other genes, which is what barnevelders have.

Teddiliza has great picture of welsummer chicks- welsumer are always e+ pattern and so should always have the classic chimpunk stripe with the eye streak. They never have the splotchy head markings.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2008
  8. AtRendeAcres

AtRendeAcres Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2007
    Clarion County
    oes anyone know if Welsummers lay in winnter (cold)

9. BikerBabeRules

BikerBabeRules Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2008
    Vermont, USA
    Kev, what is a Pg gene you spoke of in the Barnvelders? They guy who sold me the eggs said they are in seperate pens, his Wels, CM's and Barns. Doesn't sound like they are.
    Thanks again,
    Kathy

10. teddiliza

teddiliza Chillin' With My Peeps

I just talked with a gal from the Yahoo Welsummers forum who said her hens laid well this winter. Don't know what kind of coop set up she has, though.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by