Welsummer "Sisters" Very Different

These are my two Welsummers (I think) (on the left). The one on the far left (Becky) I'm very concerned is a roo. Right now I'm hoping that Becky & Baby will stay as sisters as well. We've had them 5 weeks this weekend. I will be very sad if we go from four to three. My son got quite upset when I mentioned she may be a he and we wouldn't be able to keep it. When I got them (at just a few days old) one had a solid dark brown head with the blond stripes along the back (Becky) and Baby has blond stripes on side of head with dark brown top, now you can barely see the blond on Baby's face.View attachment 1341269 View attachment 1341269
None of the birds shown are welsummers

So I'm clearly not the expert, but I'd be inclined to think Becky is a roo too! Does (s)he have feathers on her chest yet? Mine still don't.

That being said, a I've few things to add:

1. Wow they look so regal at that stage! Mine are just getting into the awkward teenage phase. Well, except for little Ethel of course. Still no tailfeathers for her! ‍♀️

2. What kind of bird is yours on the far right? She's gorgeous!!

3. It took me FAR too long to realize that was a mirror there! ☺️
Hahaha, yes we just went through the ugly stage. Venti looked like a turkey vulture at one point! She's the one on the far right & is definitely older than the rest. Sold to me as an Amauracana. She is a beauty. I love her gold tinged collar. We won't know for sure until she starts laying.
They really grew this last week!

I brought home two Welsummer ladies from TSC a week and a half ago (along with six other assorted girls). At the time, I asked for two that looked a little different from one another so that I could keep them straight haha, and to have a nice variety in my flock. As they have gotten older it's apparent though that they are VERY different. This is my first time raising chicks so I don't know what's normal. Are they both the same age (as they're supposed to be) but just from different parents? Or are they different ages? Or is one a roo?? They were both supposed to be girls but I'm sure sometimes there's a mix up. Maybe one is a Bantam?? I have no idea. ‍♀️

The pics don't show their differences well so I'll try to explain too. Irma is on the left. It's hard to tell but she's about twice the size of Ethel on the right - in height especially, as Ethel has baby pudge but Irma looks more muscular and lean. Irma is predominantly grey whereas Ethel is brown. Irma is getting a lot of her feathers in and has a tail but Ethel still has a little fuzzy bum. Irma has a spikey comb already but Ethel has just a little bumpy bit. Their wings seem similar but different shape and slightly different pattern, but their backs have the same chipmunk stripes. Irma is very independent and doesn't like to be held but Ethel is a little teddy bear who loves to cuddle with the other chicks, humans and even two of our fluffiest cats!!

View attachment 1333422 View attachment 1333423
How did your chicks feather out? I'm not an expert but I think the head pattern for both look like girls, and as another poster mentioned the chest feathering a few weeks later is completely different (salmon vs. black) for females and males. Cute chicks!

Back
Top Bottom