Votes: 5 55.6%
  • BCM

Votes: 4 44.4%

• Total voters

Poodlemum

Crowing
Aug 26, 2021
Northern Utah
I’ve got a 4 month old BCM, can’t wait for her to lay! We’ll be at the feed store and might need to replace a sick chick. Which would you pick? We love friendly chickens, nothing too submissive since the Wyandottes are bitches lol

Other option is seeing if they’ll let us wait til next week for blue laced Barnevelders

I’ve got a 4 month old BCM, can’t wait for her to lay! We’ll be at the feed store and might need to replace a sick chick. Which would you pick? We love friendly chickens, nothing too submissive since the Wyandottes are bitches lol

Other option is seeing if they’ll let us wait til next week for blue laced Barnevelders
I have 5 Welsummers. Good layers, very pretty eggs. The girls themselves are chatter-boxes though. There will be Welsummers that are quiet too, so it can vary between individuals. I do love my Welsummers, they are good birds.

They lay the darkest brown eggs in the carton. :)

Attachments

• 5B102419-1B95-4505-A45D-F9E8D1283754.jpeg
    5B102419-1B95-4505-A45D-F9E8D1283754.jpeg
    485.7 KB · Views: 7
The below pic you can see my blue copper maran eggs, and the spotted ones are welsummers... I like both.
$b.PNG

Welsummers are more of a surprise though, even the same hen can lay different colored-spotted eggs.
Below is a diff Welsummer hen eggs hers are the dark brown like a BCM the dark orange is a coco maran egg.
$$.PNG

Below the purple upper left, and the dark, lower left, are from the same blue copper maran hen, one just has more bloom.
$f.PNG

The upper right is a NN egg, and the lower right is an LO.

I bought 5 BCM's last spring and they are hefty birds that lay pretty good but not as well as my Wellies. The Wellies also produce super jumbo eggs now and then for their size and spotted designs which are awesome. But they are my stupidest hens one of which still can't figure out the chicken ramp into the coop and are always the last to go inside at night. Wellies are attractive, though, with their lace golden feathers. I just hatched two chicks yesterday that are full Welsummer and three that accidentally got crossed with my BCM's. Oh well, we'll see how that turns out.

I bought 5 BCM's last spring and they are hefty birds that lay pretty good but not as well as my Wellies. The Wellies also produce super jumbo eggs now and then for their size and spotted designs which are awesome. But they are my stupidest hens one of which still can't figure out the chicken ramp into the coop and are always the last to go inside at night. Wellies are attractive, though, with their lace golden feathers. I just hatched two chicks yesterday that are full Welsummer and three that accidentally got crossed with my BCM's. Oh well, we'll see how that turns out.
Ours started laying recently and I’m very impressed so far! She’s very consistent and her eggs have always been very large. Beautiful for sure, but I’d still like to add some colour bred ones as well
3974423D-2E09-4A3D-9978-3C8678A5B2CA.jpeg

I really like them both. I love the dark eggs laid by BCMs, but welsummers seem to be notorious for speckled eggs.

I haven’t had welsummers yet, but they’re high on my want list. I haven’t had any breeds that throw speckles yet, and they personally please me more than solid colors. They just haven’t happened to be in stock at my local stores when I’m buying. Haven’t dipped my toe in the live chick ordering pond yet, I’ve been too nervous to open a box of dead chicks. Read Too many horror stories.
I love the look of BCMs over partridge colours, but also want a pretty basket 🤔 Someone is laying lightly speckled eggs and I’m not sure who it is! Totally understand the shipper chick ambivalence, my husband can’t handle it at all

The below pic you can see my blue copper maran eggs, and the spotted ones are welsummers... I like both.
View attachment 2993318
Welsummers are more of a surprise though, even the same hen can lay different colored-spotted eggs.
Below is a diff Welsummer hen eggs hers are the dark brown like a BCM the dark orange is a coco maran egg.
View attachment 2993324

Below the purple upper left, and the dark, lower left, are from the same blue copper maran hen, one just has more bloom.
View attachment 2993325
The upper right is a NN egg, and the lower right is an LO.
I am totally drooling over your eggies 😅 They’re so gorgeous! Definitely can’t go wrong with either option 😍

Back
Top Bottom