Wet wood from Home Depot...

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Colie <3, Mar 16, 2011.

1. Colie <3

Colie <3 Collecting my Cuties

Feb 3, 2011
    Fayetteville, NC
    I bought some 2 x 4 's from Home Depot yesterday and they are damp, what gives? lol
    I have them sitting in the sun on a tarp but I was wondering if this is a normal thing when you buy wood?
    How long will it take for these to dry out so I can put some waterproof sealer on them? They are the legs for my coop that is being shipped to me.

Edit for typo [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 16, 2011
  2. elmo

elmo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2009
    DFW
    Is the wood pressure treated?

3. Colie <3

Feb 3, 2011
    Fayetteville, NC
    Yes it's pressure treated

4. imachickenprincess

imachickenprincess Chillin' With My Peeps

Colie <3 :

I bought some 2 x 4 's from Home Depot yesterday and they are damp, what gives? lol
    I have them sitting in the sun on a tarp but I was wondering if this is a normal thing when you buy wood?
    How long will it take for these to dry out so I can put some waterproof sealer on them? They are the legs for my coop that is being shipped to me.

Edit for typo [​IMG]

I bought some that was damp too!!!​

5. chickencoop13

chickencoop13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2010
    nh
    If it's pressure treated it don't matter even if it wasn't it doesn't matter

6. Colie <3

Feb 3, 2011
    Fayetteville, NC
    I'm kind of annoyed that it's damp really, I asked the guy at Home Depot about it and he acted like it was a normal thing. I'm thinking how do contractors and the like use wood that is damp? Are they laying it out on tarps and drying it like I am? Seems like a waste of time!

7. Colie <3

Feb 3, 2011
    Fayetteville, NC
    Quote:Doesn't matter meaning I can go ahead and put the tinted sealer stuff on it now?

8. chickencoop13

chickencoop13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2010
    nh
    It's perfectly usable when wet maybe just a little bit slippery

9. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    DO NOT put sealant or paint or anything else on the wood if it is wet! Unless you use one of the (very few) deck sealers that are specifically labelled for use on wet wood.

YOu gotta let the wood dry out thoroughly before applying anything else.

It is not a big deal being wet though, it likely just means it got rained on good during transit or storage. It's heavier to handle, and does not saw well (especially if you are using a handsaw), so if you *can* let it dry before working with it you might *want* to... but there is no actual reason why you should not use it now if you want. (Other than the painting/staining/sealing issue, I mean)

Pat

10. Colie <3

Feb 3, 2011
    Fayetteville, NC
    I read the can it says to not use on wet wood but then goes on to say if the wood has water droplets on it to wipe it off before applying. Talk about conflicting!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by