What’s better chickens or ducks?

• Total voters
As layers/pets; Chickens. They're cleaner, less sensitive to their environment, and them and their eggs are more marketable. Also I don't much like duck eggs tbh, so... No brainer for me.

Having said that if I had to choose just one to raise for food, I would pick ducks. They taste amazing. :O

I like my ducks more than my chickens.

They're cleaner in some ways and cause less damage to my lawn. Our chickens I swear could dig any hole imaginable in the wrong place and you about break your leg if you're not paying attention. My chickens throw food everywhere, my ducks don't. Ducks may mess up the water, but it's easy to clean out a waterer. Ducks clean up bugs better in my opinion from what I've notice. No wasp gets by my ducks, which I like because wasps are a******* with stingers and they get huge where I live. My ducks cause less of a mess in their coop than the chickens I do not put food or water in either coop, to me that just creates more mess and invites more bugs and rodents I don't want. Duck eggs are better from my families point of view, they seem to eat more of them and enjoy the creaminess of them. They eat them over easy.

I make sure my ducks have enough area and I've never had issues with cleanliness. We take twice a week and clean the coop once a week. The coop could probably go two weeks, but we don't push it, it's just better to get it done so nothing happens.

I'm probably one of the few who like ducks better than chickens, but I have my reasons.

With the right setup, DUCKS. By a long shot. So long as they've got a good water supply, and a safe place to sleep, they are amazing critters.

The eggs are amazing, and my ducks far out perform my chickens. They lay longer into the winter season without supplemental light, and I've noticed that they are reliable layers well past the third year mark.

They don't care about rain, snow, wind or cold. Nothing stops them. They are hardy critters. I have yet to lose a duck to illness. This includes ducklings.

Their poop isn't hot so it can be applied directly to the garden, which is great because there is a lot of it. Speaking of the garden, they are the best with winter cleanup detail. They keep the grass clipped, de-slugged, and the beds weeded all winter.

They are damn adorable. Yeah, that's shallow, but it counts. I could watch them for hours. Duck social structure is pretty neat to observe.

I might be a hair bias. I have a pet call duck sleeping on my lap as we speak. She's absurdly cute.

Back
Top Bottom