What’s changing my Lav Orp roo??

They’ve been sharing the same coop and area for a while now, 6 months or more
This is part of why I don't believe pecking order is the issue here.

How's he doing today? Is he eating and drinking? Still hanging with his bro? Have you seen his droppings, if they seem normal?

Beware when visiting the vet that geese migration is spreading avian influenza (as it does seasonally every year).. and if a bird tests positive the entire flock anywhere on the property will be put down.

With your other boy being almost 10.. you've done *something* right so I hesitate to say anything but I advise against adding corn which dumbs down nutrition (protein, vitamins, minerals, and amino acids).. Corn doesn't keep birds warm and many feeds are already corn based.

This is part of why I don't believe pecking order is the issue here.

How's he doing today? Is he eating and drinking? Still hanging with his bro? Have you seen his droppings, if they seem normal?

Beware when visiting the vet that geese migration is spreading avian influenza (as it does seasonally every year).. and if a bird tests positive the entire flock anywhere on the property will be put down.

With your other boy being almost 10.. you've done *something* right so I hesitate to say anything but I advise against adding corn which dumbs down nutrition (protein, vitamins, minerals, and amino acids).. Corn doesn't keep birds warm and many feeds are already corn based.
Oh! I thought corn was okay for adding a bit before overnights… I will certainly rethink that ♥

Well folks I had to search my old photos for pics of them both in younger days; and compare the previous profile shapes of each of their combs.
It used to be the case that my elder gent was much wider in his body and an inch or two taller.

It seems like he is actually the one who didn’t come out of this molt very well. I noticed first that he wasn’t growing his gorgeous tail back as quickly as the younger one, I actually have a pic of him with no tail feathers but seeming healthy and happy, before this past few days.

This morning I went out and could see from a distant that one roo wasn’t standing up. When I got closer I realized he had passed away. I’m certain now that the younger one is the healthy one and my old gentleman finally decided he was done.

They looked very very alike, they came from the same small breeding farmer and probably were closely related.

So the head pulled in was accompanied by a very shrunken comb at the end, I guess which started when he wasn’t feeling well.

I’m sad but he had a long and very pampered life, 6 months ago I thought he’d outlast me lol.

Thank you Everyone, for all the support.

Here’s his Young man pic, when he first arrived and the farmer who gave him to me was happy because he’d been bullying all of the other roosters at her farm.

Attachments

• DA70BE86-380C-4D9F-BA42-60B30D3BB32E.jpeg
    DA70BE86-380C-4D9F-BA42-60B30D3BB32E.jpeg
    421.7 KB · Views: 5
Oh! I thought corn was okay for adding a bit before overnights… I will certainly rethink that ♥

Well folks I had to search my old photos for pics of them both in younger days; and compare the previous profile shapes of each of their combs.
It used to be the case that my elder gent was much wider in his body and an inch or two taller.

It seems like he is actually the one who didn’t come out of this molt very well. I noticed first that he wasn’t growing his gorgeous tail back as quickly as the younger one, I actually have a pic of him with no tail feathers but seeming healthy and happy, before this past few days.

This morning I went out and could see from a distant that one roo wasn’t standing up. When I got closer I realized he had passed away. I’m certain now that the younger one is the healthy one and my old gentleman finally decided he was done.

They looked very very alike, they came from the same small breeding farmer and probably were closely related.

So the head pulled in was accompanied by a very shrunken comb at the end, I guess which started when he wasn’t feeling well.

I’m sad but he had a long and very pampered life, 6 months ago I thought he’d outlast me lol.

Thank you Everyone, for all the support.

Here’s his Young man pic, when he first arrived and the farmer who gave him to me was happy because he’d been bullying all of the other roosters at her farm.
Sorry to hear of your loss. He was a pretty boy. Glad you already have a replacement. The old guy lived well. :hugs

Sorry for your loss. :hugs

That (sadly??) makes a LOT more sense in my book. It's easy to understand how the confusion could happen.

Still I'm glad his (also gorgeous) young friend stood by him instead of bullying him! (Will he get to join the ladies?)

My advise completely against corn was specifically for the boy under the weather. Some of those times a scrambled egg is a great choice as it's often very palatable, easy to digest, and loaded with nutrients.

My suggestion that corn doesn't keep bird warm is valid (it's still a valued energy source). As enrichment or a treat, a little corn never hurt nobody who's in good condition and has an otherwise appropriate diet (unless genetically predisposed somehow) Some regions with very short daylight hours (far north) may need to get more "energy" on board (for thermogenesis) in order for the birds to not lose condition.. BOSS *might* be a better choice. I'm not sure on that but it is higher fat and fat has more energy per gram than protein or carbs.. so just for consideration.

one quick note that while many formulated rations are made mostly form corn the point is they have added synthetically anything that would be missing like the amino acids and such.

I don't think I caught his name, but I'd be happy know it and be able place with his "young man" pic! :love

My advise completely against corn was specifically for the boy under the weather. Some of those times a scrambled egg is a great choice as it's often very palatable, easy to digest, and loaded with nutrients.

My suggestion that corn doesn't keep bird warm is valid (it's still a valued energy source). As enrichment or a treat, a little corn never hurt nobody who's in good condition and has an otherwise appropriate diet (unless genetically predisposed somehow) Some regions with very short daylight hours (far north) may need to get more "energy" on board (for thermogenesis) in order for the birds to not lose condition.. BOSS *might* be a better choice. I'm not sure on that but it is higher fat and fat has more energy per gram than protein or carbs.. so just for consideration.
Thank you again.

I’m sorry but I’m not familiar with BOSS; can you explain it for me?

We have just decided to start including some scrambled eggs for everyone occasionally.

The old man was named Lance; we had an Andy also at one time. The younger one is named PEEP because he was sO vocal as a youngster, he made us laugh.

Back
Top Bottom