What’s in your first aid box ?

I am very against beak trimming by cutting. It's very easy to cause splits in the beak, even with sharp cutters in the hands of someone experienced. I've had rescue hens here that have had their beaks badly cut and it's heartbreaking.
Toenails and beaks can be filed. It does take more time but it's a lot safer. I manage to misscut my own toenails!

Yeah I wouldn’t do it unless the vet advised me the need and I would just ask them to do it. In most cases shouldn’t need unless overgrown or injury occurred required trimming.

Last edited:
Recently I forget which member on worst mistakes thread confessed she trimmed her chickens nails without anything to stop bleeding. Funny thread but I’m sure scary. This is what prompted vet bond. The chicken ate the bandage used to stop bleeding cuz she didn’t cover with vet wrap or koflex. Had no styptic powder. Looked up corn starch. Had to give chicken stool softeners to pass eaten bandage. Bloody mess! I think chicken ok.
MissChick@dee or Miss K, I think

I don't know if what I have would constitute as 'first aid' or what, but chicken things I have include
  • Epsom Salts
  • Patroleum Jelly
  • NutriDrench
  • Corid
  • Natural wormer
  • Wazine
  • Lotion coverup
  • Durvet oregano supplement
  • Blu Kote
  • Vet Wrap
  • Vetricyn
  • Guaze
  • Medical tape
  • Triple antibiotic oitment
  • Many knives
  • Chicken saddle
  • Materials to construct splints
  • Cornstarch
  • Permethrin liquid and dust

I am very against beak trimming by cutting. It's very easy to cause splits in the beak, even with sharp cutters in the hands of someone experienced. I've had rescue hens here that have had their beaks badly cut and it's heartbreaking.
Toenails and beaks can be filed. It does take more time but it's a lot safer. I manage to misscut my own toenails!
Really? I've had quite a few that need routine beak trimming and trimming them is a non-issue.

Check out this post, it's a collection of items that BYC members suggested.
http://www.backyardchickens.com/t/1150128/suggestions-for-a-first-aid-kit-preliminary

Really? I've had quite a few that need routine beak trimming and trimming them is a non-issue.

Check out this post, it's a collection of items that BYC members suggested.
http://www.backyardchickens.com/t/1150128/suggestions-for-a-first-aid-kit-preliminary
Yes, really.:)
People are still going to do it; I'm very much against it. I'm against cutting roosters spurs as well, but people are still going to do it. I have,(obviously from the relevant post) had hens here with beak problems. I use a file. Same for toenails and spurs.:)
What is wrong with the chickens beaks you have to 'routinely' trim?

I don't know if the link was meant for me, but I read some time ago.

Back
Top Bottom