What’s on each side of her beak?

Crs1

Songster
9 Years
May 13, 2014
Kansas City, MO
58C413BC-3931-4106-9FF9-C65CB660858E.jpeg 11B26A86-8218-4AF5-B149-8BFAF2621465.jpeg
This is my broody who has been sitting on the nest since june 22
Yes I know that is a looong time but she started with 4 eggs than 3 than 2 then she picked up another then one of the original 4:caf And now she has the late comer:fl
So she is still sitting on the late comer and I candled it today and I believe that the chick is alive and with in a week or sooner of Broody’s comb is pale but she got out today and ran around and dust bathed. I have been feeding her scratch to try to give her some more protein?!?
But I have noticed this dark spot on each side of her beak. So any suggestions on what they are and what I need to do?:barnie

I would like you to open her mouth and look for lesions anywhere in her mouth/throat. Let us know if you see any. If it is dirt, use an eyedropper and put a couple drops of warm water on the dirt to loosen it up and use a Q-tip to clean it off. Tweezers and a toothpick might come in handy as well. :)

A5A70BD2-C5C2-4E4C-9615-216C216B30C4.jpeg 8481B619-3B46-4189-B860-421E7D43AE49.jpeg
I think that It is dirt:celebrate
We sprayed with vectron last night and this morning half of it was gone
I did look in her mouth and didn’t see any lesions
He comb and wattle look a lot better today and I’m going to assume it’s the scratch
I did spray again this morning
I hope the pics are better:fl
Thanks for the help :thumbsup

View attachment 1475187 View attachment 1475186
I think that It is dirt:celebrate
We sprayed with vectron last night and this morning half of it was gone
I did look in her mouth and didn’t see any lesions
He comb and wattle look a lot better today and I’m going to assume it’s the scratch
I did spray again this morning
I hope the pics are better:fl
Thanks for the help :thumbsup
My first thought was dirt from dust bathing too!

All my 10 girls looked like that a few days ago and everyone cleaned up nicely with a warm wet washcloth.

Best wishes to you and your broody momma:highfive:

Others have commented on the original problem and it seems to have been resolved.

Just wanted to point out....

I have been feeding her scratch to try to give her some more protein?!?

Scratch has significantly less protein than most other formulated feeds. Since you are expecting chicks soon, you would be better getting some chick crumb and giving her that as it will be far better for her and probably has twice the protein content of scratch.

If you are going to let a broody hen sit in a communal nest box, you really need to manage it so that you give her a clutch of marked hatching eggs and remove any others that are laid into the nest on a daily basis, so that she doesn't end up with a staggered hatch which seems to be the situation here. It is not fair or healthy for the broody to be sitting so long and if there is more than a few days difference in the hatching dates she will have to make a difficult decision to abandon the eggs that are left to look after the chicks or neglect the chicks' needs to stay on the eggs or you will need to take the chicks from her and raise them in a brooder whilst she continues on the eggs that are left, which to me defeats the whole purpose of using a broody hen.

I agree rebrascora.

But she kept losing, somehow the 4she was originally sitting on, and as it turned out the 4th egg was bad so I left the later comer hoping it would hatch.
And I was monitoring the extra eggs and her original 4 were marked. So the last one I chose to leave. She has been in a seperate area by herself for 2 weeks in lockdown
And I feed all flock to the chickens but she doesn’t seem to eat it so that is why I gave her scratch and she seems to be eating it.
So I am hoping that in less than a week the egg will hatch and I can move them to a different area so she and the chick can move
Thanks

Back
Top Bottom