What’s the best kind of shelter or hide out?

M

Member 671655

So my sons (five of them) have made three different structures for my ducks and chickens for hide outs or ease of laying whatever they want to use them for. Are there any specific things they like other than nesting boxes? What kind of roost would you recommend? I’m trying to be hands off as it’s their homeschool projects and they are loving it…. But suggestions they are open to! :) they even made flower path ways to the duck house. 😭🙏🥰I am surprised they are able to still eat chicken and eggs with how much they seem to love our birds

Larger roosting bars are best for them because if their toes touch it won’t be good of their feet. I love to put lavender and other herbs in the nesting box it calms them down, but now that it is winter much may not be growing.

What kind of roost would you recommend?
For a roost, I would recommend something at least 1.5 inches wide (that's how big "2 inch" lumber usually is when you buy it in the store.) Wider should be fine too, but I would not go skinnier than that.

People have done a few studies on what width of roost is preferred by chickens. Here is an example of such a study:
https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/0168159190900134
They found that hens preferred roosts 5cm (a bit under 2 inches) as compared with roosts 3.8cm and 2.5cm (that smallest one is about one inch).

So that means the hens were choosing the widest available roost, but does not tell whether or not they would choose an even wider one if it was offered.

(That study also found that chickens did not like to perch on a roost with a pointy top, like a triangle. Hmm, I might have thought that was obvious, but I suppose it's good to be sure.)

I’m trying to be hands off as it’s their homeschool projects and they are loving it…. But suggestions they are open to!
Depending on how big of a project you want this to be, they could try making a variety of roosts and observing which ones the chickens like better.

"Better" to a chicken might be wider or narrower, flat or rounded, rough or smooth, higher from the ground or lower, in a location with more shade or more sun or more ventilation or less wind, or quite a few other factors.

For a roost, I would recommend something at least 1.5 inches wide (that's how big "2 inch" lumber usually is when you buy it in the store.) Wider should be fine too, but I would not go skinnier than that.

People have done a few studies on what width of roost is preferred by chickens. Here is an example of such a study:
https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/0168159190900134
They found that hens preferred roosts 5cm (a bit under 2 inches) as compared with roosts 3.8cm and 2.5cm (that smallest one is about one inch).

So that means the hens were choosing the widest available roost, but does not tell whether or not they would choose an even wider one if it was offered.

(That study also found that chickens did not like to perch on a roost with a pointy top, like a triangle. Hmm, I might have thought that was obvious, but I suppose it's good to be sure.)

Depending on how big of a project you want this to be, they could try making a variety of roosts and observing which ones the chickens like better.

"Better" to a chicken might be wider or narrower, flat or rounded, rough or smooth, higher from the ground or lower, in a location with more shade or more sun or more ventilation or less wind, or quite a few other factors.
Thank you!! This has really inspired them to do things for the animals and love ❤️ spending time with them I’m thrilled

My flocks favorite roost is a table we built using a whole sheet of plywood for the top. It was originally built as a shelter when free ranging, but they hated it. We moved it into the run to protect their feeder from rain and now they ignore their 2x4 roosts.

I've had the good fortune of finding PT Moulded Hand Rail on the clearance pile at Home Depot.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/2-in-x-4-in-x-6-ft-Moulded-Handrail-Pressure-Treated-118353/203208261
outdoor-handrails-118353-64_600.jpg

I was able to cut off the damaged ends and fit for what I needed.

Back
Top Bottom