What’s wrong with my duckling?

CrazyCrttr75

Free Ranging
Apr 21, 2018
Robertson County, TN
My Pekin duckling is 3 - 3 1/2 weeks old and I am just now noticing his/her feet. I feel so bad because I don’t know why I haven’t noticed this before. They are turned inward. And when it walks, you can kind of see that it walks over them. Now splayed/spraddle leg is where the legs and feet are pointing outwards right? Or can it be either inward or outward? Is that what this is? Is it too late to be corrected? I feel like a bad momma. :hit Will my duckling be ok? This is my first time uploading a video so hopefully it’ll work. Just in case I’ll include a picture.
042895D7-6C88-4CE5-9EC1-8DE83BEA2022.jpeg

F99F2CF9-5F05-4250-8303-3B2082484D81.jpeg

I hope that link works. I should’ve researched/asked how to post a video before posting this.

What are you feeding including supplements and treats?

Sorry for your trouble. :(

If that duckling were mine I would start giving it some oral or injectable b vitamins.
View attachment 1508305 View attachment 1508304

Thank you for replying. I guess I was a little overly worried/panicked earlier (new duck momma here). We have them on Flock Raiser, and we add in Brewer's Yeast to the feed. As well as that Durvet vitamin B stuff from TSC in their water. I really thought we had the Niacin covered between the 3 so that didn't even cross my mind that it could be it. Maybe we need to localize treatment to the one that is having trouble and see if it corrects itself? I don't know what else I could do? I have been taking them outside for a few hours every day and then they get bathtime afterwards. Occasional peas at bathtime, not every time tho. And I've given them mealworms a couple of times. Other than that, just the grass, clover and mud they chomp on while outside.

i was also concerned that one of my duck's feet were a bit turned in. But other than niacin, one of the things I read said walking on a variety of natural surfaces (as one might find in a yard/paddock) will help as they grow. I got niacin capsules as it was cheaper than brewer's yeast & put the powder in them directly in their water. Her feet have definitely improved.

PS - make sure you do NOT get non-flush niacin if you use capsules.

Yeah, we have some capsules but they don't like to dissolve very well. Inside the capsule are like little beads. So we went to the store and bought a dif kind just to find out it's the same thing. Little beads lol. So maybe they'll dissolve after a while and we just aren't patient enough? Ha ha.

Oh - mine are powder. I got them off amazon. I just open them & dump the powder into their 5 gal waterer. Before that when they had a smaller waterer I just guesstimated 1/5 capsule per gallon.
Yeah, we have some capsules but they don't like to dissolve very well. Inside the capsule are like little beads. So we went to the store and bought a dif kind just to find out it's the same thing. Little beads lol. So maybe they'll dissolve after a while and we just aren't patient enough? Ha ha.

Back
Top Bottom