What’s wrong with my Pekin ducks feet?

proudduckowner22

Chirping
Aug 8, 2022
Hey y’all, I got a 2 year old Pekin duck recently from someone who was getting rid of all their birds. I checked her feet today just making sure there’s no bumblefoot going on, to my surprise I saw on the ends of some of her toes were big and were missing toenails, could she have froze some toes off during a winter? I believe she is also blind in an eye too. She is a really sweet girl and I want to help her if she has any bumblefoot on her feet, any help on what might be going on with her would be greatly appreciated by me and her! Here’s some photos of both her feet and the eye. Thanks

Attachments

• 7BDAB701-C2BB-42A2-98EB-90FFE5911AE8.jpeg
    7BDAB701-C2BB-42A2-98EB-90FFE5911AE8.jpeg
    571.9 KB · Views: 25
  • 45361F41-BBCE-47FD-BAF3-B35BC5ABBF69.jpeg
    45361F41-BBCE-47FD-BAF3-B35BC5ABBF69.jpeg
    682.7 KB · Views: 12
  • D59AD9B8-36B3-430E-A32E-3367718235E5.jpeg
    D59AD9B8-36B3-430E-A32E-3367718235E5.jpeg
    407.9 KB · Views: 11
  • CA418A3B-010C-439F-A3CE-4BE9855608BD.jpeg
    CA418A3B-010C-439F-A3CE-4BE9855608BD.jpeg
    439.7 KB · Views: 12
Was she kept on wire? They can catch their nails and rip them off. Doesn’t look like frost bite the toes would have turned blk and fell off eventually. She maybe blind but she’ll do fine I have a blind in one eye Muscovy thanks to a hawk and she runs around on half an acre with her flock and hasn’t any trouble. If the toes have swelling you can try some warm Epsom salt soaks ( just don’t let her drink the water) bless you for taking her. Do you have other ducks? They always do so much better if they have friends.

I agree with Miss Lydia. You might also try swabbing that right eye twice daily for a few days with luke warm saline solution. There might be a membrane that will soften and come off . Neglected ducks need lots of tender loving care to get them back to optimum health. But she can lead a long and happy life now even with foot deformities and loss of sight. Thank you for taking her!!

Aww, that is so sad! Poor baby! I'm so glad you've rescued her and will give her a good life going forward. I think you've gotten some good advice. I would do epsom salt soaks and see where you're at in another week, plus make sure she has super soft surfaces in her run and coop area. Thanks for taking her in and going the extra mile to assure her a good life for the remainder of it.

Aww, that is so sad! Poor baby! I'm so glad you've rescued her and will give her a good life going forward. I think you've gotten some good advice. I would do epsom salt soaks and see where you're at in another week, plus make sure she has super soft surfaces in her run and coop area. Thanks for taking her in and going the extra mile to assure her a good life for the remainder of it.
Thanks y’all so much for the support of this sweet duck, sorry it took a while for me to post an update on her. She has plenty of other duck friends, when I took her in she came with another Pekin duck and a pair of magpie ducks as well so she is very happy. When I went to pick her up at her old home she was kept in a pen surrounded by chain linked fence, so I guess there could always be the chance of her little toes got caught in that but I am not really sure. She is living a nice life right now with her 3 buddies as well as my other ducks. I think she probably just has some foot deformities since I have not seen any change in her for a while in her feet so I think she should be alright!

Thanks y’all so much for the support of this sweet duck, sorry it took a while for me to post an update on her. She has plenty of other duck friends, when I took her in she came with another Pekin duck and a pair of magpie ducks as well so she is very happy. When I went to pick her up at her old home she was kept in a pen surrounded by chain linked fence, so I guess there could always be the chance of her little toes got caught in that but I am not really sure. She is living a nice life right now with her 3 buddies as well as my other ducks. I think she probably just has some foot deformities since I have not seen any change in her for a while in her feet so I think she should be alright!
thanks for the update and providing a happy home for this little gal!

Back
Top Bottom