What age to mix silkies with flock

ben0125

Songster
Oct 7, 2017
New Zealand, Auckland
My Coop
My Coop
I have two chicken coops, one prefab one for my Silkies and one for my 6 month old chickens, and the biggest ones sleep in the trees. I Need to know when to put the Silkies in with the bigger chickens. They have seen but not touched eachother for over a month now but I'm still not very sure because they get scared when the big ones come past.

Also, When do Silkies generally start to get big?

I would have a safe space for them to run to. Silkies have different looking feathers so may get picked on.

How old are your silkies? They are bantams so won’t get big like regular chickens.

Silkies are bantams so they don't grow very big and don't usually do that well with larger chickens. They are too gentle and if they can't see well because of their top knot they can easily get picked on. If they have vaulted skulls a peck on the head from a large hen can do some serious damage.

Silkies are bantams so they don't grow very big and don't usually do that well with larger chickens. They are too gentle and if they can't see well because of their top knot they can easily get picked on. If they have vaulted skulls a peck on the head from a large hen can do some serious damage.
So my two Silkies should stay away from the bigger chickens?

So my two Silkies should stay away from the bigger chickens?

They'll probably be safer. Silkies raised with large birds from the time all are chicks generally hold their own. Introducing them to an established flock of larger birds can be difficult because of their smaller size, generally mellow dispositions, and vision difficulties due to their crests.

I think that all depends on your own situation. Some have bad luck when Silkies are mixed with the larger birds some dont. I have 2 silkie hens that eat and free range with larger chickens. They don't have any issues and their roo is a large bird. He protects them from anything. My hens seem very happy and I do trim their fuzz so it doesn't pose a vision problem.

They'll probably be safer. Silkies raised with large birds from the time all are chicks generally hold their own. Introducing them to an established flock of larger birds can be difficult because of their smaller size, generally mellow dispositions, and vision difficulties due to their crests.
One of the silkies is a rooster, and hes always by my other silkies side. Does this make a difference?

I have two chicken coops, one prefab one for my Silkies and one for my 6 month old chickens, and the biggest ones sleep in the trees. I Need to know when to put the Silkies in with the bigger chickens. They have seen but not touched eachother for over a month now but I'm still not very sure because they get scared when the big ones come past.

Also, When do Silkies generally start to get big?
I have four adult Buff Orpington hens. Three silkie hens that get along great. But the grew up from hatchlings.

Back
Top Bottom