What age to provide hens nesting boxes?

saramah

Hatching
5 Years
Jul 29, 2014
Park Rapids, Minnesota
Hello! I'm figuring out what kind of nesting boxes to build and I'm wondering at what age do you provide boxes. I came across a couple comments about young hens using them as roosts until they start laying and how that can create a dirty nest for the eggs in the future. My hens are 14 weeks old, so not yet laying age but I wanted to make sure they were ready. Any thoughts?

I built boxes for my hens in the typical style...3 18 cubic inch boxes on each set with a perch outside. I put nice bedding material inside and put it in a private corner in the coop. They have nothing to do with it other than to sleep. Every one of them lays their egg in the 5 gal bucket I have in the corner.

Get the nests ready, put them at about a foot lower than the roosts.

Hopefully they are already roosting well and it might not be a problem.
But watch them and get them out of the nests and onto the roosts if they try to sleep in the nests.

Sometimes it's easier to rig a simple way to block the nests just before dusk, then unblock the nests when you lock up the coop at dark....that's what I've been doing with my last batch and it's much more pleasant for us all than rustling them out of the nest after dark.

Whats the suggested box to chicken ratio?
I have 5 chickens and one nesting box...should I build another one?

It's 4 hens to 1 nesting box is recommended. I have 12 and built 6 boxes. Lol They will probably be fine. But I would build a second one. I'm a newbie to chickens but for some reason always think more is better then no fighting or extended waits in line :)

Whats the suggested box to chicken ratio?
I have 5 chickens and one nesting box...should I build another one?

It's 4 hens to 1 nesting box is recommended. I have 12 and built 6 boxes. Lol They will probably be fine. But I would build a second one. I'm a newbie to chickens but for some reason always think more is better then no fighting or extended waits in line
smile.png
1 to 4 is good but I think 2 is a good minimum.

I have 3 baby chicks that I bought from Murdoch’s and it’s my first time raising them they have almost all their feathers except one is a little behind. I am unsure of their age? I have so many questions on here? They are my babies! 😊 they are currently in their own coop that we built but do I turn their light off at night now? We are in Montana so the weather is close to 65 degrees at night varies on the weather. I was also wondering should I build their nesting boxes? I was going to wait until they got a little older I just have their perches built and their bedding on the bottom of the coop for now.

Attachments

• 7D9C683B-4D58-422B-950C-39B95286F596.png
    7D9C683B-4D58-422B-950C-39B95286F596.png
    2.3 MB · Views: 9
I have 3 baby chicks that I bought from Murdoch’s and it’s my first time raising them they have almost all their feathers except one is a little behind. I am unsure of their age? I have so many questions on here? They are my babies! 😊 they are currently in their own coop that we built but do I turn their light off at night now? We are in Montana so the weather is close to 65 degrees at night varies on the weather. I was also wondering should I build their nesting boxes? I was going to wait until they got a little older I just have their perches built and their bedding on the bottom of the coop for now.

A little hard to tell age from that photo, you need clear photos without stuff like fencing in the way. Is it just me or is one really tiny compared to the other two (or is it angle of photo?) How many weeks ago did you buy them? Chicks are generally sold at a few days old.

When you say "turn off light" are you talking about an actual light or a heat lamp? I personally don't believe in having a light on at night, period. But if you're talking about a heat lamp, the answer will depend on age of chicks and how much you've weaned them off heat by this point.

Nest boxes don't need to be added until closer to point of lay. But good to get started on it sooner rather than later, so you're not left scrambling after someone's already started laying.

A little hard to tell age from that photo, you need clear photos without stuff like fencing in the way. Is it just me or is one really tiny compared to the other two (or is it angle of photo?) How many weeks ago did you buy them? Chicks are generally sold at a few days old.

When you say "turn off light" are you talking about an actual light or a heat lamp? I personally don't believe in having a light on at night, period. But if you're talking about a heat lamp, the answer will depend on age of chicks and how much you've weaned them off heat by this point.

Nest boxes don't need to be added until closer to point of lay. But good to get started on it sooner rather than later, so you're not left scrambling after someone's already started laying.
Hello :) no it’s a heat lamp I made sure that Murdoch’s set me up with all the correct stuff that they need. Gosh.. I feel like I am there every other day buying products for my chickens they are very spoiled. :) I will get a better clear photo for you maybe you can tell me what age they would be? Thank you for the info.

Hello :) no it’s a heat lamp I made sure that Murdoch’s set me up with all the correct stuff that they need. Gosh.. I feel like I am there every other day buying products for my chickens they are very spoiled. :) I will get a better clear photo for you maybe you can tell me what age they would be? Thank you for the info.

Attachments

• CD681272-1BD5-40DB-B637-DF63ABD936EF.jpeg
    CD681272-1BD5-40DB-B637-DF63ABD936EF.jpeg
    720.9 KB · Views: 3
  • 6F2BCCAF-3C63-4F08-A53D-B614103EF8E2.jpeg
    6F2BCCAF-3C63-4F08-A53D-B614103EF8E2.jpeg
    434 KB · Views: 3
  • 9BC76E05-134F-4AB1-A6BB-B8E62526EEE3.jpeg
    9BC76E05-134F-4AB1-A6BB-B8E62526EEE3.jpeg
    548.8 KB · Views: 3

Back
Top Bottom