IMG_6279.JPG
IMG_6280.JPG
IMG_6282.JPG
IMG_6284.JPG
IMG_6292.JPG
IMG_6293.JPG
IMG_6296.JPG
IMG_6290.JPG
Do I have a pullet or cockerel? Chicken is approx 4 months. It's a silkie/polish mix.

Pullet. Looks like she's getting ready to lay soon, if she hasn't already.
I'm hoping soon...what makes you say she might be ready? She's been acting more dominant lately. Trying to climb ranks in the pecking order?? She's been flaring out neck feathers and "fighting" with the other girls. Chasing them.... and jumping at them. I thought she might be a cockerel bc of the way she's behaving lately. Also the black and orange silkie/polish I have is a bit younger but already has a much more mellow personality and her crest is more obvious fluffy pullet.

I'm leaning towards cockerel. If it is sixteen week old, I would not excpect such a large comb. Although I don't see any standing out male feathering, the tail keeps making me think boy. Did it have a large comb like that when it was younger?

IMG_1602.JPG
IMG_1604.JPG
IMG_1625.PNG
IMG_1762.JPG
IMG_1771.JPG

I'm leaning towards cockerel. If it is sixteen week old, I would not excpect such a large comb. Although I don't see any standing out male feathering, the tail keeps making me think boy. Did it have a large comb like that when it was younger?

Here it is about a month ago...it's comb has always been larger than the other silkie/polish

Both of my silky hens have rather large walnut Combs...but little waddles....which makes this really hard to tell. I see no clear waddles...but besides that fact, I would vote pullet, I don't see any clear signs of cockrels plumage....but I'm only about 60% sure ....

I'm hoping soon...what makes you say she might be ready? She's been acting more dominant lately. Trying to climb ranks in the pecking order?? She's been flaring out neck feathers and "fighting" with the other girls. Chasing them.... and jumping at them. I thought she might be a cockerel bc of the way she's behaving lately. Also the black and orange silkie/polish I have is a bit younger but already has a much more mellow personality and her crest is more obvious fluffy pullet.

Combs can be misleading in Silkie crosses. So there for you have to look at the other factors. I see no saddle feathers, and at 4 months old if it were a cockerel there should be. So my thinking is. . . 4 months old, no saddle feathers, and a reddening comb = pullet thinking about starting to lay. I'd say in another month or so.

Don't bet the farm on my opinion of course. Looking at a couple of pictures is far different than actually getting your hands on a bird for a good look over. But just going by these pictures and my experience, pullet is my vote.

Back
Top Bottom