What Antiseptics and Disinfectants are in Your Kit?

What's in Your KIt?

• Total voters
Well not necessarily, if the pocketbook allows you can use Manuka honey bugs really don't care much for it but the high factor stuff is nuts in price!
Hydrogen peroxide gives most honey its antibiotic quality,but manuka honey, has other ingredients with antibacterial qualities.
The major antibacterial component in manuka honey is methylglyoxal (MG). MG is a compound found in most honey, but usually only in small quantities to be truly effective for serious wound care a factor 10 or above is needed...my jar is over 13 years old you've got to be on death's door around here to see that honey.

Just of pure curiosity would honey attract bugs? I know honey is a great anti bacterial! I also use mineral oil, if a chicken has diarrhea it can be added to the vent feathers to prevent more poo stickage. I guess that's not a antiseptic or disinfectant, but useful. I also have Epsom salt, bumble foot soak to soften and soothe area.

Yes, I use tea tree oil, but using alcohol with charcoal mix blows my mind because alcohol Thins the blood to keep it bleeding and the hardwood charcoal can harbor flesh-eating strep. I know honey has a lot of antibiotics properties but to place on a chicken would attract bugs. Aloe Vera is good for the belly but can cause diarrhea. So just soap and water to bottom then apply vinegar and a mixture of tea tree and mineral oil applied or blue kote.
:lau You don't give the Aloe Vera internally.
I don't think the OP really wants a discussion so I'll make it brief. Apparently the way the alcohol and charcoal are mixed kills anything the charcoal may be harboring. It's a bit like cleaning instruments or hands with alcohol. When I've learnt how it's done I'll know a bit more about it.
People have been using honey on wounds for ages. Which type of bugs did you have in mind to be attracted to it; bees perhaps.:p
The use of hydrogen peroxide on wounds can inhibit healing because it cauterizes the tiny blood vessels. Chlorhexedine is a much better option if required and you can get to a chemist.
Blu Kote is a nice colour.:p

Virkon S
Cause nothing else is better
I've never heard of it and looked it up. It's not cheap but it'll be indispensable. I just lost a hen to some awful infection - I took her to our state lab for a necropsy yesterday and the test results aren't back yet. The pathologist did call me last night (just like he said he would!) and told me to disinfect all the feeders water is in the inside of the coop. I did that but this will be what I'll use from now on.
Thank you so much!

I've never heard of it and looked it up. It's not cheap but it'll be indispensable. I just lost a hen to some awful infection - I took her to our state lab for a necropsy yesterday and the test results aren't back yet. The pathologist did call me last night (just like he said he would!) and told me to disinfect all the feeders water is in the inside of the coop. I did that but this will be what I'll use from now on.
Thank you so much!
You're welcome to my knowledge it's one of the only if not the only one effective on meraks. You're right it's not cheap but you get what you pay for. The tablets dont go far either just so you know. I use them in a pump up sprayer works great

So far, I'm figuring it's because their animal got hurt, someone suggested Vetericyn, they used it and the animal healed. Good start? It smells like a mild bleach solution to me.
I think it is a mild bleach. But I guess what I'm really asking is why do so many people want to spend so much money on such a small bottle when they can get a gallon of chlorhexidine concentrate for less money?

Back
Top Bottom