What Antiseptics and Disinfectants are in Your Kit?

What's in Your KIt?

• Total voters
I think it is a mild bleach. But I guess what I'm really asking is why do so many people want to spend so much money on such a small bottle when they can get a gallon of chlorhexidine concentrate for less money?
Probably ease of availability.
I bought a small bottle of vetricyn, never needed to use it.

Also the quality of the spray bottle. All the empty spray bottles ive ever bought were junk. The big vetericyn bottle i boight is almost empty and hasn't broken. (I've also never spent so much on a spray bottle before).
Chickens move quickly and spraying the medicine worked well.

I don't suppose they want to. It's just probably more a matter of not knowing how to make an acceptable substitute.
This. I think for a lot of people (myself included) it is an early purchase ie trying to prepare for the future but not knowing much about poultry safe medicine. And many BYC folks suggest it. Plus the spray style application is appealing for its ease of use :idunno

Curiously, what's in your kit and why?

betadine solution - for cleaning skin and wounds
bleach - for cleaning brooders, feeders, and waterers.
Blu-Kote - I have this, but do not use it on poultry.
chlorhexidine scrub - great for cleaning skin
chlorhexidine solution - great for flushing wounds
gentian violet - I have this too, but never used it.
iodine - used for treating pox lesions
oxine - used for cleaning brooders
peroxide - used for inducing vomiting in cats and dogs.
rubbing alcohol - used for wetting feathers before giving fluids
Tek-Trol - Have this, but have not used it yet.
I also have an Infirmary XL dog Crate or two, heat lamp, fleece blanket, towels, dropper, electrolyte solution powder, Triple Antibiotic Ointment and Epson Salts, Non stick gauze pads and self stick wrapping, tongue blades. Q-Tips, Styptic Powder, and now Suture supplies and much more. I am a RN and I have all kinds of "Heal it/Fix it up" stuff in a large bin. LOL
The Blu-kote aka: Gentian Violet is a great antiseptic, but not for deep puncture wounds. If you have had a human baby before, we use to use it on the umbilical cord but, It stained everything! But, works.

Back
Top Bottom