What Antiseptics and Disinfectants are in Your Kit?

What's in Your KIt?

• Total voters
Curiously, what's in your kit and why?

betadine solution - for cleaning skin and wounds
bleach - for cleaning brooders, feeders, and waterers.
Blu-Kote - I have this, but do not use it on poultry.
chlorhexidine scrub - great for cleaning skin
chlorhexidine solution - great for flushing wounds
gentian violet - I have this too, but never used it.
iodine - used for treating pox lesions
oxine - used for cleaning brooders
peroxide - used for inducing vomiting in cats and dogs.
rubbing alcohol - used for wetting feathers before giving fluids
Tek-Trol - Have this, but have not used it yet.

VetRx too! Works wonders

Wow, it's a heavy chemicals thread!
I'm just going to break out my brown rice and sandals for a moment.:p
I got interested in what the chicken keepers here where I live use. The people who used to fight roosters here have been patching them up for centuries. I got given a tour of one such medical cabinet and there wasn't a single off the shelf item that I could recognise.
For wound washing the herb Thyme steeped in boiling water and very carefully strained is most popular, particularly for eye injuries.
Propolis mixed with honey and calandula (the flower) is used as an antibiotic/wound packer.
I've recently been trying out Aloe Vera and walnut oil for uric acid induced bum rash and it works really well. I'm going to try it on the chickens next.:D
Quince is popular for digestive issues. Something else gets added but I had a Catalan fail when it was explained to me.
Hard wood charcoal mixed with alcohol gets used as a blood stopper. It gets made into a paste.
There are many more that these people have found effective over generations of chicken keeping. I'm trying to learn a bit about them.
Yup, I've ticked a few boxes because I don't know any better yet.

Edit. Forgot one of my favourites, Tee Tree Oil.

Last edited:
Just of pure curiosity would honey attract bugs? I know honey is a great anti bacterial! I also use mineral oil, if a chicken has diarrhea it can be added to the vent feathers to prevent more poo stickage. I guess that's not a antiseptic or disinfectant, but useful. I also have Epsom salt, bumble foot soak to soften and soothe area.

Just of pure curiosity would honey attract bugs? I know honey is a great anti bacterial! I also use mineral oil, if a chicken has diarrhea it can be added to the vent feathers to prevent more poo stickage. I guess that's not a antiseptic or disinfectant, but useful. I also have Epsom salt, bumble foot soak to soften and soothe area.
I think honey could attract bugs.

Sterile Saline, Alcohol, Betadine, peroxide. Vinegar, bleach, blu kote, and silver nitrate sticks. If needed syringes and needles. I can ask my vet for other things. With me being a Nurse and Vet tech I have many options.

Wow, it's a heavy chemicals thread!
I'm just going to break out my brown rice and sandals for a moment.:p
I got interested in what the chicken keepers here where I live use. The people who used to fight roosters here have been patching them up for centuries. I got given a tour of one such medical cabinet and there wasn't a single off the shelf item that I could recognise.
For wound washing the herb Thyme steeped in boiling water and very carefully strained is most popular, particularly for eye injuries.
Propolis mixed with honey and calandula (the flower) is used as an antibiotic/wound packer.
I've recently been trying out Aloe Vera and walnut oil for uric acid induced bum rash and it works really well. I'm going to try it on the chickens next.:D
Quince is popular for digestive issues. Something else gets added but I had a Catalan fail when it was explained to me.
Hard wood charcoal mixed with alcohol gets used as a blood stopper. It gets made into a paste.
There are many more that these people have found effective over generations of chicken keeping. I'm trying to learn a bit about them.
Yup, I've ticked a few boxes because I don't know any better yet.

Edit. Forgot one of my favourites, Tee Tree Oil.
Yes, I use tea tree oil, but using alcohol with charcoal mix blows my mind because alcohol Thins the blood to keep it bleeding and the hardwood charcoal can harbor flesh-eating strep. I know honey has a lot of antibiotics properties but to place on a chicken would attract bugs. Aloe Vera is good for the belly but can cause diarrhea. So just soap and water to bottom then apply vinegar and a mixture of tea tree and mineral oil applied or blue kote.

Back
Top Bottom