What are the personalities of these chicks/breeds?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by StarLover21, Feb 8, 2012.

1. StarLover21

StarLover21 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 11, 2011
    So I'm planning my next big order...from Meyer. I'm planning to get three or four chicks, although I will be awhile before I can order. I have a few things to get ready first.

My definite ones I'm going to get are Salmon Faverolle and EE. They're just so sweet looking, and I love colored eggs. Any info on them would be great! Egg laying ability, freindliness..ect.
    I also think I want a barred rock. Are they very freindly? Any experiance with them?
    And then the fourth chick. Oh, I'm so torn. I recently started a poll here about the chicks I wanted...I kinda have a tie for cochin, polish, and speckled sussex. But I love Silver Laced Wyandottes. Hmm.
    I don't think I want a cochin....well, I do, I want them all, but- I can't get them all! :)
    So that narrows it down to I think Polish, Speckled Sussex, and Wyandotte. I want freindly, lap chickens, really! I will hand raise them, so hopefully they will be really freindly.

But Brahama's are so pretty!

Gah.

Anyhow, any info on these breeds?
    Thanks!

2. DanielHoover

DanielHoover Out Of The Brooder

Feb 3, 2012
    You should definitely consider their Silver Gray Dorking's
    which are extremely gentle and off good quality.

3. Remudamom

Remudamom Chillin' With My Peeps

Silkies are very sweet. My little flock of silkies are like a bunch of kittens.

4. StarLover21

Oct 11, 2011
    They're very pretty! However the hatchery I'm ordering from doesn't carry them :(

5. tinydancer87

tinydancer87 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2011
    SE Georgia
    My barred rock hen is nice, but can be a bit of a hag to the others at times.

My Salmon Faverolles are very sweet and curious, also a little "clueless" acting if you know what I mean [​IMG] But very docile and friendly.

My LF cochins are a little standoffish, they tolerate being held. I am sure with more attention as chicks they would be more friendly. But my bantam cochins are like velcro when I go into the coop, extremely needy, jumping in my lap, etc.

My Polish are entertaining, and have quite fearless personalities. They have to have haircuts from time to time.

My mother has an old EE hen that is 8 years old and still lays 3-4 eggs weekly. Friendly and curious personality, gets along well with others. My little bantam ameraucana flew up onto my shoulder and stayed there the other morning.

I don't have Speckled Sussex but I have heard they are very friendly.

ETA: Oh, and I also have a buff brahma hen, she is very nice, will come up to you, docile and easy-going.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2012
  6. StarLover21

Oct 11, 2011
    thanks!

7. princetonpeeps

princetonpeeps Out Of The Brooder

Jan 15, 2012
    Princeton, MN
    Our experience to this point is only barred rocks... But ours are great! Very friendly, an docile!

As far as egg production, we've got 5 adult ladies, and usually get 4 eggs per day, even in winter right now! Would definately reccomend.

8. FarmingForFun

FarmingForFun Out Of The Brooder

Jan 31, 2012
    My experience with polish chickens is that they do not make lap chickens. I had a pair that were skittish, and the rooster would try to flog you. My Barred rock hen "Grandma" is a wonderful chicken!

9. I have two polish roosters right now. One is EXTREMELY aggresive and the other is a lady's man[​IMG] we shot one polish roo before these two because he would actually corner us in the coop

10. StarLover21

Oct 11, 2011
    Sounds like Barred Rocks are greats! I definitally won't be getting a polish roo [​IMG].

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by