What are the personalities of these chicks/breeds?

StarLover21

Songster
8 Years
Oct 11, 2011
So I'm planning my next big order...from Meyer. I'm planning to get three or four chicks, although I will be awhile before I can order. I have a few things to get ready first.

My definite ones I'm going to get are Salmon Faverolle and EE. They're just so sweet looking, and I love colored eggs. Any info on them would be great! Egg laying ability, freindliness..ect.
I also think I want a barred rock. Are they very freindly? Any experiance with them?
And then the fourth chick. Oh, I'm so torn. I recently started a poll here about the chicks I wanted...I kinda have a tie for cochin, polish, and speckled sussex. But I love Silver Laced Wyandottes. Hmm.
I don't think I want a cochin....well, I do, I want them all, but- I can't get them all! :)
So that narrows it down to I think Polish, Speckled Sussex, and Wyandotte. I want freindly, lap chickens, really! I will hand raise them, so hopefully they will be really freindly.

But Brahama's are so pretty!

Gah.

Anyhow, any info on these breeds?
Thanks!

You should definitely consider their Silver Gray Dorking's
which are extremely gentle and off good quality.

My barred rock hen is nice, but can be a bit of a hag to the others at times.

My Salmon Faverolles are very sweet and curious, also a little "clueless" acting if you know what I mean
tongue.png
But very docile and friendly.

My LF cochins are a little standoffish, they tolerate being held. I am sure with more attention as chicks they would be more friendly. But my bantam cochins are like velcro when I go into the coop, extremely needy, jumping in my lap, etc.

My Polish are entertaining, and have quite fearless personalities. They have to have haircuts from time to time.

My mother has an old EE hen that is 8 years old and still lays 3-4 eggs weekly. Friendly and curious personality, gets along well with others. My little bantam ameraucana flew up onto my shoulder and stayed there the other morning.

I don't have Speckled Sussex but I have heard they are very friendly.

ETA: Oh, and I also have a buff brahma hen, she is very nice, will come up to you, docile and easy-going.

Last edited:
Our experience to this point is only barred rocks... But ours are great! Very friendly, an docile!

As far as egg production, we've got 5 adult ladies, and usually get 4 eggs per day, even in winter right now! Would definately reccomend.

My experience with polish chickens is that they do not make lap chickens. I had a pair that were skittish, and the rooster would try to flog you. My Barred rock hen "Grandma" is a wonderful chicken!

Sounds like Barred Rocks are greats! I definitally won't be getting a polish roo
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom