1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What are we?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by pfd, Nov 24, 2010.

1. pfd

pfd Out Of The Brooder

May 17, 2009
    Alabama
    Hello everyone. After owning a rooster now for 1.5 yrs I decided that he needs company since he doesn't get along with the peking duck anymore. So I purchased 2 (supposed to be) hens yesterday. All I want is an occational egg. I would like your opinions in regards to what the 2 new chickens are (gender and possibly breed). All I know they were from a store who bought them about 4 weeks ago from private owners who didn't want the chickens anymore. Nobody knows how old they really are.

Any info is greatly appreciated!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Here is Ed the rooster with the new ones:
    [​IMG]

Here is a picture of Aflac, the duck [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. aussieheelr

aussieheelr Chillin' With My Peeps

About those two new birds... the black one looks like a pullet and my guess is probably this years hatch but definatly a mixed breed. The second one (multi colored) looks a lot like my old EE roo I use to have. Definatly a mix and likely an easter egger-just from my experiance.

3. pfd

pfd Out Of The Brooder

May 17, 2009
    Alabama
    Thank you! If the brownish color one is a roo then I better take him back. Does anyone else think it's a rooster? [​IMG]

4. GAGE

GAGE Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2010
    GA
    EE and a Black Australorp is my guess

5. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    The colorful one is an Easter Egger cockerel, just like your original rooster there. The second - Is its comb flat, lumpy, or like a sawtooth edge? It's not a Black Australorp, but perhaps a Wyandotte cross. The body type and comb type looks wrong to be an Australorp.

6. pfd

pfd Out Of The Brooder

May 17, 2009
    Alabama
    Thank you very much for the info. I hate taking the brown one back but 2 roosters are just 1 too many.

7. chicken wild

chicken wild Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 20, 2010
    Franklin Ga
    #2=roo#1=pullet

8. Jessar1010

Jessar1010 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 9, 2010
    Mansfield, Ohio
    I have a duck named Aflac too! [​IMG] Pretty much like every other duck on the planet, but I thought it was cute. [​IMG]

9. froggiesheins

froggiesheins Overrun With Chickens

Oct 14, 2010
    Jurupa Valley, CA
    LOVE Aflac!! [​IMG]

10. Robin'sBrood

Robin'sBrood Flock Mistress

May 8, 2008
    North Carolina
    Quote:The black one looks very similar to my SLW x BA pullet...

(she's on the left)
    [​IMG]

(this is a terrible pic of my BeeBee, but you can see the similar body type... she isn't shaped like her Wyandotte father at all)
    [​IMG]

...except the OP's has those pretty Australorp looking dark brown eyes.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by