What are you canning now?

Quote:
My grandma always made zucchini relish, it was great!!!

That's on my standard items list to can every year. Always a hit! My grndmother loved it and Zucchini Pickles. I made them for her every year.

Quote:
We just talked about FROG jam made with figs here https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=357622 it sounds fabulous!

I JUST read that thread and thought " Hey, I have figs!"
gig.gif
big_smile.png
Wonder if you could add green food coloring to it and...

I have no figs around here, but that's ok... because we have blackberries and blueberries out the.... ears!
lol.png

Friday I made Blackberry Preserves and last night I made Blueberry Syrup.

Tomorrow will be Blueberry Preserves, and Mixed Berry.... because today I have a few handfuls of raspberries ready!!!
wee.gif

Oooo I'm so excited I found this thread! My fiance' and I bought a house this past late winter/early spring that we're renovating, but despite the tons of work we're doing on it, I was just dying to get a garden put in. DF plowed up a nice area out back and we got everything in the ground, but we still had just as much left over seeds/starters as we had planted. Soooo, not wanting to waste anything we threw all the leftovers out back behind our garage/shop and figured if it grows, great! If not, at least we didn't throw anything out. Well low and behold everything is thriving and we are going to have far beyond what we could consume fresh, even counting in friends and family being gifted some of it. I've canned and pickled a little in the past with my mother, tomatoes, beets, pole beans, etc., but now that I'm going to be doing this all on my own any ideas or instructions would be great! I'm wanting to can tomatoes for sauces later on, green beans, pickle banana peppers, cucs and possibly zucchini, as well as figuring out something to do with the excess of blackberries and peaches we have. Right now, I'm scrambling to find something to do with all the blackberries we have out back that are coming in daily. I've already made cobblers, but I want a bit more variety. Any ideas?

I just made the Caramelized Onion and Garlic Jam, but replaced the apple cider vinegar with Balsamic (I know $$$) and its AMAZING! I jarred 5 8 oz jars out of it, and then poured the rest over a roasting pan of fresh new potatoes I just pulled out of the garden this morning!
love.gif
Oh the smell is AMAZING in the house. Definitely covered up the fire I had the first time I tried to caramelize the onions this afternoon (good thing I keep baking soda at hand at ALL times).
somad.gif

but we still had just as much left over seeds/starters as we had planted. Soooo, not wanting to waste anything we threw all the leftovers out back behind our garage/shop and figured if it grows, great! If not, at least we didn't throw anything out.

I always save my seeds, they can be viable and germinate even after a few years... the % of how many drops, but not too much where I worry. Getting 90% one year and not buying seeds and getting 75% germination the next is fine with me!
big_smile.png

Last edited:
Quote:
Can them for syrups, sauces, pie filling....if you research back a few pages you will see that people have been doing this already there is some recipes on this thread about canning.

Quote:
I always save my seeds, they can be viable and germinate even after a few years... the % of how many drops, but not too much where I worry. Getting 90% one year and not buying seeds and getting 75% germination the next is fine with me!
big_smile.png

Recipe Please - I love different type jams.

Sandee

Back
Top Bottom